Chapter 17

Two hours later Spencer was on his way home once again. The FBI had given out a search for Walter Owens; they wanted to find out if he had something to do with the homicide as soon as possible.

With his heart pounding wildly against his chest, Spencer stepped into the apartment. All the way back home he had thought about whether to tell Leah the news or not. He didn't want to upset her but he also knew that there was little to no chance that he could lie to her. Although he was the profiler, she knew him too well to not realize when he didn't tell her the truth or hid something from her.

"Did you find out something?", was Leah's first question as soon as she saw Spencer. He leaned down to her and kissed her first. Then he let himself sink on the couch, right next to Leah and wrapped an arm around her shoulder to pull her closer. And then, after Leah had to ask Spencer two times more, he finally told her what they had found out.

Leah listened to him without interrupting him. Only her facial expression changed from time to time. When Spencer had finished, she took a deep breath and then lowered her eyes to stare at her hands. She didn't know what to feel or what to say. There was still that sad feeling inside her whenever she heard about what had happened to her biological parents. And the wish to find the responsible person grew with every word she heard.

"Are you trying to get that guy?", Leah finally asked; her voice almost a whisper. Spencer nodded and pressed a kiss on her cheek. "Of course we are. And I promise you, we'll catch him." He pulled her into a tight embrace before he placed a hand on Leah's baby bump and gently stroked it.

"Would you like to watch a movie?", Spencer wanted to know some minutes after they had been quiet and Leah nodded. She knew Spencer wanted to distract her and she was thankful for that.

Some minutes later they were snuggled up against each other and were watching one of the Harry Potter movies. Spencer continued stroking Leah's baby bump and Leah couldn't help but smile. She knew he hoped to feel the baby kick. She had told him some days ago that she had felt kicks but so far Spencer didn't have a chance to feel it.

"I love you", he suddenly said out of the blue and turned his head to look at Leah. She smiled at him. "And I love you", she replied and leaned against Spencer. "When will you tell your mom that she's going to be a grandmother soon?" Leah looked up at Spencer.

"Oh, I...I thought to call her tomorrow and tell her. I wanted to tell her personally when I visit her the next time. But...since we have quite a lot to do, I can't see her any time soon I guess. So I'll have to tell her by phone or the baby will be born already when I can tell her." He chuckled.

"And you're alright with that?", Leah asked. Spencer nodded. "Of course. I don't want to wait any longer. I'm excited to tell her." He leaned down and pressed a kiss on Leah's baby bump. She smiled happily. Although there was a lot of negative things going on at the moment, she could still enjoy moments like this. She could still feel happy about the little family she and Spencer would have soon.

~

As promised, Spencer called his mother the next day. "Spencer! It's been too long!", Diana answered the call and Spencer smiled. It definitely had been too long since he had heard his mother's voice.

"Hi mom, how are you doing?", he asked and waited for a response. She sounded good and that gave him a bit of hope. He knew, his mother would never get well again, but the meds she got helped her most of the time.

"I'm doing good, what about you? And Leah?" Oh, it was like she already sensed that there was something he wanted to tell you.

"We're doing alright", he finally said, "Mom, I...I need to tell you something." Spencer had just decided to no longer wait to tell her. He was nervous and excited and he needed to get it out right now.

"What is it, dear?", Diana asked. Spencer took a deep breath and hoped his heart would calm down a bit. "Mom, I'm going to be a father. Leah's pregnant!", he finally burst out and for a second there was silence between him and his mother. But then she said: "Oh, Spencer I'm so happy for you both! And...I'm going to be a grandmother then! Oh my god!"

Spencer laughed at Diana's joy. "Thank you mom. First I wanted to tell you personally but we have so much to do here currently, I have no idea when I'll find time to come and visit you", he admitted then.

"Don't worry, dear. I know you've got a lot to do with catching the bad guys." Spencer could hear the little smile in Diana's voice and sighed. "Yeah, but...I miss you. I'll do my best to see you soon. I love you, mom."

"I love you too, Spencer. Take care of Leah and my grandchild."

~

Excitedly Spencer and Leah were waiting at her doctor's office. Leah had another ultrasonic testing and Spencer had found some time to join her again. "I'm wondering if it's a boy or a girl", Spencer murmured as he held Leah's hand and glanced at her baby bump. Leah nodded. "Me too. Who knows, maybe the gynecologist will be able to tell us the sex today." She smiled.

Just some minutes later Leah lay on in one of the rooms, waiting to see her baby. Spencer was holding her hand again and stared at the monitor.

"So, do you want to know what you're expecting?", the gynecologist asked with a grin on his face. Spencer and Leah shared a short glance and then they both nodded.

Leah was five months pregnant now and it would make some things – like buying baby clothes – easier knowing if they'd have a boy or a girl. "Okay, then let's take a look...", the gynecologist said and moved the ultrasound around on Leah's baby bump.

For a moment all three just stared at the monitor trying to see something. Of course the doctor's eyes were more skilled to recognize something and he turned to face Spencer and Leah, a slight smile on his lips.