Chapter Six

"Avery!"

Dean's voice boomed through the door, causing the glass shelves in the bathroom to vibrate. I hugged my knees closer, curling into a tighter ball. "Open this door, or I'll rip it off the hinges!"

He sounded livid. The intensity of his rage only scared me more, causing my breathing to turn shallow. I'd never hyperventilated before but as I gasped for air and the pressure around my chest intensified, I realized there was a first time for everything. I told myself to relax, but with the sound of Dean pounding on the door, I couldn't calm down. My heart banged against my ribcage, the noise echoing through my already throbbing head.

"Avery?" Jonathan's deep voice swept through the room with a calm control. "Let me in." I remained in the tub, trying to catch my breath. "Avery." Jonathan's tone was more demanding this time. "Open the door, or I'll let Dean tear it down."

Somehow, I forced myself to stand. I braced my arms against the tub walls and inhaled a few deep breaths. I could do this. Squeezing my eyes shut, I took in one more deep breath and pushed back the shower curtain. With slow cautious steps, I walked to the door. After unlocking it, I stepped back.

As expected, the door flew open. The entire group stared at me from across the threshold. Their features all twisted into looks ranging from fury to worry. Dean tried to muscle his way in, but Jonathan raised a hand, stopping him.

Jonathan took a step toward me. I backed up. Him and the rest of them hadn't physically hurt me, but they all carried that earthy undertone that smelt too similar to the crazy man. Wrapping my arms around myself, I stared at him. My breathing had relaxed, but the fear hadn't subsided.

Jonathan's eyes grew wide as they scanned over me. He lifted his chin in my direction, and sniffed. "He hurt you. Please sit, I'll have Jace bandage you up." He pointed to the toilet.

I didn't move. "What are you?"

"Sit. First," he demanded.

"Tell me!" I screamed, releasing my hands to my side in balled fists.

The golden ring around his irises sparked and a muscle in his jaw clenched. He didn't like disobedience.

My eyes shot down to my bare feet. I didn't know why. I didn't usually get intimidated easily, but it felt like I had to do it. It made my head hurt to hold his gaze. I was already so exhausted I didn't have it in me to challenge him.

"After Jace has dealt with your injuries, I'll meet you in the other room. You can ask me your questions then." He turned around, the others shifted out of his way allowing him to pass. Dean made a move to come in the bathroom. "Leave her, Dean," Jonathan called. "Let Jace in. You can make sure she's okay when he's finished."

Dean froze, half in, and half out of the bathroom, conflict clear on his face. His hand reached out, as if he wanted to touch me. But I stayed frozen, just out of reach. Emotions flashed through his eyes at warp speed. Rage. Concern. Pain. And finally, defeat. Dropping his hand, he turned and retreated into the main room.

Jace with his first aid kit, made his way through the group into the bathroom and shut the door behind him. He placed the kit on the floor before opening it. "Do you feel comfortable taking your shirt off?" he asked, his tone gentle. "I want to check you over for cuts and . . . bite marks." The last part came out in a whisper, as if he didn't really want me to hear him say it.

Bite marks.

I scanned him over. Besides a laceration on his arm and a scratch on his face, he appeared fine. In much better shape than I would have figured for someone who had shattered a window with their body should look like. "Are you okay?"