Chapter Twenty-Two

First order of business in self-rescue: Get out of room.

I tried the knob. Surprisingly, it opened. I'd expected Stephen to keep me under lock and key. Poking my head out, there wasn't a guard standing outside, or anyone in the hallway. I supposed Stephen didn't care if I cruised around the estate, he'd ensured my inability to escape with his twelve foot, barbed wired fence outside and the pack of werewolves that patrolled the grounds.

"Movie, Mommy." I heard a child demand as I tiptoed down the hallway.

"What do you say?" A woman asked.

"Pwwease."

I slowed my steps in front of an open door and listened to the sounds of a TV. Peeking my head into the room, I saw a little boy with wavy golden hair and piercing blue eyes sitting on a little blue chair. A woman with curly chestnut colored hair knelt down in front of the TV fiddling with a Blu-Ray player.

"I hate this thing," she complained, as she pushed all the buttons on the remote and numerous screens popped up on the TV screen. "Why does your father have to have the most high-tec equipment?"

"I dunno?" The little boy answered.

"Hello." I walked into the room. The woman's head shot up, surprised, before giving me a wary look. "Do you need me to help you with that?" I offered. She didn't answer, but continued to watch me as I approached her. Once close enough, I extended my hand.

She released a loud sigh, giving me the remote. "If you can."

Closing all the pop up screens, I changed the output, and the movie came on, already started.

"Yeah!" The little boy clapped his hands, settling into his chair.

"Thanks," the woman said.

"I'm Avery." I placed the remote on the coffee table.

"Cleo." She gave me a half-hearted smile. "You're his new one, huh?"

"Sorry?"

"Stephen's. You're his new girl?"

"I guess so."

"What a double standard, huh?" She sat down on the leather couch.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "Double standard about what?"

"Stephen. He can have all the mate's he wants, but we have to settle for sharing him."

"Sharing?" I must sound so ignorant to her, repeating everything she said like a trained parrot, but I had no idea what she was talking about. I didn't want him at all. As far as I was concerned, she could have him.

She started to smile, but it held a cold edge. "Oh, don't tell me you thought it was just going to be you and him?" She started to laugh. "You're just another variety for another day of the week. I don't think he has a girl with gray eyes, maybe that's why he added you."

"I don't think it's my eyes," I murmured under my breath. "How many mates does he have?" I asked, louder.

She thought about it for a minute. "Eight, plus you, so nine."