Chapter Seventeen

When I woke up the next morning I didn't feel so angry with Logan or werewolves in general, for that matter. Maybe a good night's sleep really does make things better. Mom had always said that, but I'd never believed her. For some weird reason, this morning I could understand Logan's point of view. Something I hadn't bothered to consider last night. I knew he had to look out for the interest of his pack. He didn't know Dean. He had no idea what his intentions were.

Since Logan hadn't come into my room last night to tell me about my pack, I assumed Dean never shifted back. I wondered if since we'd all had a few hours to calm down, if Logan would let me talk to him today or if I'd have to sneak around the place and find his cage.

I dressed in more of Abigail's borrowed clothes, a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt. After throwing on Logan's red sweatshirt I headed to the bedroom door.

Opening the French doors, I found Logan with his fist raised, about to knock. "Morning." He gave me a shy smile. "Are you still mad at me?"

"Yes," I answered, but there was no conviction in my voice. I think I even smiled. He just looked so good. His hair was wet and slicked back from a shower. He wore a black thermal shirt and faded jeans with no socks or shoes.

"If you want to see Dean, he's downstairs."

"Really?" I grinned.

He nodded. "He didn't shift back until this morning. Keith asked him about your pack, but he refused to tell him anything. He wanted you."

"Why wouldn't you let me see him last night?"

"I don't know him or how well he can control his wolf. If I'd let you see him last night, he could have hurt you."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "But you let me go to him last night in the woods."

"I thought if he could see you weren't hurt, he'd calm down. But it was obviously a mistake since instead he got more worked up and snarled at you."

"In all fairness, I think that was directed at you, or Ryan, for zapping him."

"Whatever the reason." He shrugged. "After that, I wasn't letting him anywhere near you."

I rolled my eyes, but let it go and started heading down the hall. His logic seemed flawed, but I understood the intentions behind it.

I got to the top of the stairs and found Dean sitting on the couch with his hands cuffed and his feet shackled. Logan's betas stood around the room watching him with barely contained contempt. He glared back at them, with about the same look on his face.

"Dean, are you okay?" I ran down the stairs. He didn't have any bruises and someone had even given him joggers and a t-shirt to wear.

"Don't worry about me, babe." His voice was hoarse, as if he'd spent the entire night yelling. Or growling.

"Is Scout okay?" I sat down beside him.

Dean turned in his seat to face me, his cuffs rattling against each other. "Yeah, he's fine. Jonathan chewed him out for disobeying orders and loosing you. He's not allowed going anywhere alone now."

"But physically, he's fine?"

"Yeah, he's fine." Dean gave me a weak smile. "We're all fine." He leaned in closer to me. "Are you okay?"

I wrapped my arms around his neck, squeezing him tight. His chest raised as he inhaled a deep breath. "I'm good," I whispered into his ear. I stayed wrapped around him, listening as he sniffed me. He took in a sharp inhale, before tilting his lips to my ear.

"Why did you let him mark you?" Accusation hung heavy in his raspy voice.

I pulled away, my hand instinctively flying to my throat. "I . . ." I wasn't sure how to explain that I didn't let Logan, as much as didn't stop him. "What does it mean?"