examples of narrative endings

Circular Ending
The story circles back to the beginning. Sometimes an author will end with the same idea or similar or exact words as the beginning of the story.

Lesson or Moral Ending
The main character in the story grows, changes, or learns something at the end of the story.

Reflection Ending
The narrator of the story steps back and reflects on what just happened. He or she often looks back on and experience, what was learned, etc.

Question Ending
The story ends with a question to keep the reader thinking. The question usually involves the reader and writers use this strategy to make their writing memorable.

Image Ending
The story ends with an important scene that the writer shows the reader through vivid details. By showing and not telling, the writer touch the readers emotions and conveys a mood.

Surprise Ending
The story takes you where you didn't expect it to go. Sometimes this ending is called a twist ending because the story takes an exciting turn.

Warm Fuzzy/ Capturing Emotion ending
The story ends leaving you feeling emotional or good inside. A good writer tugs at the heart strings to make the reader feel something.

Cliffhanger Ending
The story ends by leaving the reader hanging or wanting more. Writers use this strategy to tease readers or excite them into reading more (the next chapter or next book in a series).

Funny Thought/ Humor Ending
The story ends with a funny thought or something that makes the reader laugh. This helps to make the ending more memorable to the reader.

Dialogue Ending
The story ends with an important conversation or quote. By ending with a quote, the writer captivates the audience by making the character more realistic and revealing their personalities.