i. Crown

"Cause I was raised up
To be admired, to be noticed
But when you're withdrawn it's the closest thing
To assault when all eyes are on you
This will not do..."

-Lorde, "Bravado"

9 years earlier

♡ Odette's POV ♡

        My mother hurriedly pushed me into our limousine, we couldn't be late for the Royal Christmas Ball. My father slid into the seat next to me, a big smile on his face as he kissed my forehead.

"Ready to have some fun, kiddo?" He asked, and I nodded happily. I was a Daddy's girl, he was always sweet to me and snuck me sweets when ever Mother wouldn't buy me any.

In terms of appearance, I believed I looked much more like my father than my mother, with my long dark hair I had been growing out all my life, and his big hazel eyes. My mother was evident in me as well, my pale skin and skinny figure hers to give. I had my father's eyes though, perhaps that was why I never saw the terrible side in things. My father was always a very optimistic man, and his attitude on life greatly influenced mine.

"You look lovely, Odessa." My father spoke to my mother lovingly, and she smiled at him. My father always joked that when Mother was pregnant with me, they couldn't think of a name, so they combined theirs to create Odette. Peter, Odessa, and finally Odette Carlton. It was rather clever on their part.

We rode in silence to the Ball, my father occasionally speaking to my mother or the driver of the limousine, his voice deep and authoritative. I rested my arms on the side of the car, just behind the window glass, looking out at the world.

Huge buildings were lit up, tall skyscrapers filled with people working were everywhere. They all glowed various colors, light greens, blues, or purples the most popular colors. They were all geometrically shaped, windows covering their entirety. This was the Working Quarter of the city, Father told me often about the work there. Cars sped by, possibly on the same route as us.

The further you went into the city, the more industrialized it looked. The buildings began to glow white, and they were built in strange shapes. This was the Wealthy Quarter, full of mansions and money. Huge yards surrounded each house, and they were all lit up with fancy Christmas light displays. Huge wrought iron gates protected the picturesque houses, protected the owners from the outside world. The houses seemed unreal, like if you strayed too close to them, they would vanish in thin air, too distant a dream to even see.

The limousine took a sharp turn at an intersection, and from there we were allowed into a huge set of black gates once the guards saw our invitation and confirmed our identities. They don't let just anyone come to the Royal Christmas Ball. My jaw dropped as I saw the Ball's destination, before my mother swiftly closed it, scolding my behavior.

This mansion was huge, lit and glowing like a star at midnight. Two huge ice sculptures were presented on the front lawn, where it looks fountains must have been in the summer. One is of Athena, an old Greek goddess of wisdom, and the other is of Atlas, Greek Titan cursed to hold the world upon his shoulders. I found it curious that these two Ancient Greek symbols were chosen, but my attention was quickly diverted to the other wonders of the mansion.

Huge glass windows showed countless numbers of people inside, a huge chandelier hanging above a ballroom dance floor. My mother handed my father and I glittery and fancy masks. She explained it was a masquerade ball, and if I got lost, to look for their masks. Our limousine pulled up to the front of the mansion, and once we were escorted inside, I suddenly felt very tiny. There was a massive number of people inside, all in very elegant garments and masks. Many servants were walking around offering champagne or tiny snacks to guests, and a small orchestra was playing in the back.