xxxv. Facedown

♡ Odette's POV ♡

If anyone ever asked me what I remember from that fateful night, I wouldn't be able to tell them much.

My awareness was very limited, lights and faces blurring together and voices sounding twice as loud.

I knew I had been carried out of the compound, but all of the voices began blending together.

"Bullet's still in her shoulder."

"Keep her feet elevated."

"Hurry, she's losing a lot of blood."

I remembered being out on some kind of cushion, and then a bumpy ride somewhere. A car?

The only thing I remembered clearly was of was someone rushing with me in their arms into a hospital what seemed like a short time later. I couldn't keep track of time, and it couldn't tell if I kept falling asleep or drifted in between consciousness and unconsciousness. The only thing I heard was a voice cracking as someone screamed for help, running through the hallways.

"HELP! Someone help us!"

I remember my blood was everywhere: on my hands, my dress, even the man's hands as he desperately pressed a makeshift gauze pad made from his jacket to my shoulder, the crimson liquid dripping between his fingers and onto the bleached floors. It was hard to focus on everything, so I only focused on one thing: Zayn.

He held me tightly, whispering words to me as he sprinted through the hallways.

"It's okay you'll be okay don't worry you'll be fine I'll keep you safe you'll be better soon..." All of his mumbled words blended together, and I didn't know if it was because of my blood loss or if he was really scared out of his wits.

I also didn't know if I felt warm from his embrace or the extent my blood was spreading across my shoulder and chest. All too soon I had been yanked from Zayn's arms, placed on a hard bed, and heard a cacophony of voices yelling and murmuring and felt hands on me, inspecting my shoulder wound, pressing needles in my hands, and placing masks over my face. The sleeve of my dress had been cut away, the wound still bleeding heavily. I couldn't open my eyes anymore, and that scared me.

"No exit wound."

"Get O-negative here fast."

"Complications from gunshots..."

"Could lose movement in her right arm."

I wanted to go home, to just lay with Zayn and have him tell me everything was alright. I didn't want to be here, in a cold hospital that smelled like disinfectant.

"Sir, I'm sorry but you can't be in here." I heard an older voice speak, instantly feeling warm calloused fingers on my own. I felt something wet fall onto my hand, warm lips pressing a kiss to the back of it before releasing it.

"She's gonna be okay, right? She'll be fine?" Zayn pleaded with the doctors, not getting any specific answer as the doctors worked on me.

"Your Majesty, you must leave if you want her to survive." The stern voice spoke to him again, and I felt the heavenly touch of lips at my ear, a soothing voice saying the words that replayed in my mind over and over for what felt like eternity as I drifted into unconsciousness.

"Please don't leave me." He spoke softly, his voice sounding broken and weak. "I love you."

***

I heard sounds and regained my sense of touch before I could open my eyes. I was laid on a new bed, I could tell that from the more plush feeling mattress I touched. Blankets were draped over me, and my head was propped up with a soft pillow. I thought hospitals were supposed to suck, but apparently I had gotten the special treatment.