Chapter Fifty-One: Blind Spot

Sarafina felt a sick sense of apprehension swirl in her stomach as she watched Regan hit the ground. Regan's hand was thrust out in front of her, still clutching her wooden sword, and her blue hair spilled in a puddle across the ground. She didn't move. On the other side of the arena, the expression on Bennet's face was victorious. She watched Regan on the ground with the look of a scavenger searching for signs of movement. 

Cesca lowered her fist and stepped back. 

'What are you doing?' said Bennet. 

Cesca ignored her. 

On the ground, Sarafina saw Regan's fingers clench around the handle of her sword. Slowly, she dragged it towards her body and pushed herself up until she was on one knee. She put a hand on the ground to steady herself and Sarafina saw her arm wobble. 

'That was a clever trick,' said Regan. Her voice was hoarse. 

'No tricks,' said Cesca calmly. 

'Why are you waiting for me to recover? You could attack me now and end this.' 

'That would be mean. You weren't ready before.' 

Regan spat some blood onto the ground and wiped the back of her hand across her lips. 'I was more than ready. You slipped my guard like it wasn't there.' 

At the side of the arena, Forester looked from Regan to Sarafina. 'She's still on her knees,' he said. 'Why isn't she getting up?' 

'She can't,' said Sarafina. 'A strong enough hit to the brain can temporarily impair motor control. Cesca's punch connected cleanly. Right now, Regan's legs won't obey her.' 

Sarafina saw Forester throw a worried look at Regan. 'What if she doesn't get better before Cesca attacks again?' 

'Cesca will wait for her to recover,' said Ashcroft. 'She's that kind of person.' 

Sarafina looked at the arena, Regan was struggling to rise. 

'How did Cesca's strikes get through?' said Forester. 'I've seen Regan fight opponents who seemed just as strong as her. What's different?' 

'It's something to do with what Bennet was doing during the fight against Kai,' said Sarafina. 'She found something.' 

'A weakness?' 

'I don't know, but I think it's time we had a talk with squadron leader Bennet.' 

In the arena, Regan was pushing herself to her feet. Her legs looked like they were made of toothpicks. Sarafina started to walk quickly around the edge of the arena with Forester trailing behind her. 

'Your friends seem worried about you,' said Cesca. 'You should feel lucky that they care so much.' 

Regan gripped her knees to stop them shaking. 'You talk like a child, then you attack like something out of hell. Your brain can't just be marshmallows and candy floss.' 

Cesca smiled. 'You sound like you're feeling better.' 

Regan glared at her. 'I'm feeling--' 

Cesca's punch caught Regan in the stomach and folded her in half like a piece of paper. Her back arched as Cesca's fist drove deep into her diaphragm and forced the air of of her lungs. 

Sarafina saw Regan gasp in pain and quickened her steps. Bennet watched her approach with a calm smile. 

'Medic Sarafina,' she said. 'You look like you have something to say.' 

'With respect, squadron leader, what did you do?' 

Bennet shook her head. 'I'll forgive your insubordinate tone, since you seem to have formed an attachment to that girl.' 

'What were you doing during the fight with Kai?' 

Bennet gave Sarafina a look as if she was deciding whether to answer. 'I didn't sabotage her, if that's what you're asking.' 

'Then what?' 

Bennet held Sarafina's gaze for a second longer than was comfortable then turned away and beckoned to the small boy with the laptop who had been with her earlier. He approached reluctantly. 

'Your friend refused to tell me her craft, and when I pushed her she attacked me,' said Bennet, as the boy started up the laptop. 'If she wants to challenge me, she can try, but I have my own tricks. I watch people's behaviour, and I'm a fast learner.' 

Bennet took the laptop and handed it to Sarafina. Forester looked curiously over her shoulder. 

'What's this?' 

'A test. Tell me what you see.' 

On the screen, Sarafina saw a freeze frame of the start of Regan's fight with Kai. She clicked the play button and saw Kai's first attack. Even though she'd seen the fight in real life, Kai's movements were still too fast to follow. 

'At first I thought her craft might be speed,' said Bennet. 'When she attacked me, she moved like a snake. I picked Kai to go against her because there's no one who can match his speed. I thought he'd be able to challenge her, but she destroyed him like he was nothing.' 

On the screen, Sarafina saw the beginning of Kai's second attack, before it was obscured by a cloud of dust. 

'Did you notice anything?' said Bennet. 

'He attacked twice and she beat him,' said Sarafina. 'It was a fast fight.' 

'You missed the part where she actually defeated Kai because of the dust,' said Forester. 

'That part wasn't important,' said Bennet. 'Kai lost the fight long before that. What about her movements?' 

Sarafina gave Bennet a questioning look. She didn't like the self satisfied smile that seemed to be playing on Bennet's lips. 

'I'm very observant,' said Bennet. 'I don't think Regan counted on that. Try slowing the video down and watching it again.' 

'How far?' 

'As far as it will go.' 

Sarafina played the video again. On the screen, the figures of Regan and Kai moved like they were frozen in amber. Sarafina watched carefully. She tried to think like a fighter instead of a medic - to watch the fight the way Regan would watch it. She watched the video until the end. 

'I don't see it,' said Forester. 

'Wait,' Sarafina started the video again. She could feel Bennet's eyes on her. She bit her thumbnail and watched Regan and Kai clash. 'Hang on; that's not right.' 

'You've seen it.' 

'What are you two talking about?' said Forester. 

Sarafina clicked a button to pause the video and held the laptop so Forester could see it clearly. On the screen, Regan and Kai were facing one another across the arena. Regan's front leg was bent slightly as if she was starting to move forward. 

'What?' said Forester. 

'You can't see it at full speed, but it's there in slow motion. Kai hasn't moved yet, but Regan is already responding. Kai attacked twice, and both times Regan moved first.'