Chapter Fifty-Six: A Lasting Impression

Ashcroft blinked as her vision returned. She wasn't sure what she'd expected Mockingbird to be, but it wasn't this. The boy with the messy brown hair at the end of the table seemed far too young to be Latimer's prized informant. 

'That's Mockingbird?' said Sarafina. 

'Don't take him at face value.' 

Ashcroft watched as Regan slowly dropped the arm she'd thrown up to protect her vision from the light. There was a deadness behind her eyes that she hadn't seen before. She felt a chilling sense that this was Regan's real face, the one she'd been trying to conceal during her time at Silverwater. Ashcroft glanced at Latimer. He didn't seem to have noticed the change. 

'Who exactly is Mockingbird?' Ashcroft said. 'What's his connection to Regan?' 

'It's complicated.' 

'You need to send Sarafina in to talk to her. There's something about Mockingbird that's shaking her stability.' 

'She wasn't stable to begin with. That's why Walsh is there.' 

'Please,' said Sarafina. 'At least let me into the room.' 

'Mockingbird agreed to meet with Regan. I'm not going to spook my most important asset because he makes her sad.' 

Ashcroft looked at the boy sitting at the table. There was a smugness about him she didn't like. He looked too relaxed. With his tie loosened and his shirt artfully undone at the collar, he looked more like a young millionaire who'd spent a wild night out than an undercover informant. She started to wonder who was really in control. 

'That boy is a snake,' she said. 'What kind of deal have you made with him?' 

'From time to time it's necessary to deal with one devil to counter another.' 

In the interview room, Regan was looking down at the floor. She let her arms drop loosely to her sides, and her shoulders rolled forwards as if she was curling in on herself. When she spoke, it came through the speakers on the wall in a crackled whisper. 

'Trevellian.' 

'Are you wondering how I'm able to grace you with my presence?' 

Regan was silent. 

Walsh looked at the one way mirror as if he was hoping for instructions. For a split second, his attention was off Regan. 

Regan moved with electric speed. Her elbow caught Walsh in the throat with a sharp jab that crushed his windpipe. He made an involuntary choking noise as he clutched at his throat and collapsed to the ground. 

'What the hell is she doing?' said Latimer. 

Regan was already moving as Walsh hit the ground. She grabbed the closest chair and jammed it under the door handle with a solid kick that wedged it into place. Ashcroft felt a black ball of dread start to form in her stomach. 

Regan swept chairs out of her way as she ran towards Trevellian. There was no grace or finesse to her movements. It was like there was an outside force that had picked her up and driven her towards him. 

Trevellian's expression was still surprised as Regan hit him at full speed, and the two of them hit the floor in a chaotic mess. Regan recovered faster than he did. As she scrambled to her knees, Ashcroft saw that she was gripping Trevellian's tie in one hand. The tie went taut as she drove a knee between his shoulder blades and pulled back. The pressure of the tie bent Trevellian's neck backwards, as if his spine would separate from his skull. Trevellian clawed at his neck with one hand as the tie became a noose cutting off the supply of oxygen to his brain. His other hand slapped the floor like a landed fish as he shuddered and struggled in Regan's grip.