9. half a heart

A big thank you to sonnetales for the cover above! 💕

Thanks for all of your feedback, the title is officially The Heartbreak Club, and if you turn back to the 'preliminaries' chapter, you will see mini-descriptions to ALL THREE books! go and let me know what you think!

Willa was sure that the freedom she felt as she finally closed the door behind her in Ashton's car was due to more than just his snarky humor. It was something that had once unsettled her, and slowly, as they spent more and more afternoons at the ice-cream parlor, had turned into something she looked forward to.

As Ashton navigated through the traffic - his thumbs tapping to an upbeat song playing through his radio - Willa scrolled through her phone. Of all the nine-thousand-and-twenty-eight photos saved on it, much too many were of her and Declan. And it was time for them to go. It was really time to move on.

Maybe the photos were a representation of her brain and the way it insisted on clinging to him. Every one that she deleted, the goofy ones, the unexpected ones, and the ones that ripped at her chest, felt like deleting a part of herself. And maybe she was, maybe she was deleting the parts of herself that were too used to his presence. It was tough love.

The time between seeing the photos Miles had sent her and seeing him kiss Camille in person now seemed dreamlike. It was as if it were all a pretend breakup, and it could all be reversed at a moment's notice. That was just how natural she and Declan and were, it was just absurd that they'd be collapsing. 

But there was no rewind button. After all of the time they'd been together, something between them had disconnected - and it hadn't only happened because of the photos. Something had driven Declan to lose value for Willa's feelings, and though her heart twisted painfully to think of it, she couldn't forgive him for that.

Willa felt as if she should be afraid, but she couldn't quite work out what of. Maybe it was being alone, or cutting something from her life which had been so easy to rely on for so long. Maybe it was finally controlling her subconscious mind, the one that insisted on wandering back to him when she wasn't watching it closely.

"You look very deep in thought," Ashton mused, breaking her from the trance she'd been in as she stared out of the window.

Willa frowned, her blonde brows knitting together. "I was just thinking about things. You know, I don't even remember the last time I was single. Like, I literally don't even remember."

She recalled the way she'd felt at the party, dancing in a crowd of teenagers as the blood rushed to her cheeks. It had been a freedom she hadn't felt in a while, not without the nagging feeling of upsetting Declan present on her mind.

Beside her, Ashton chuckled. "Weren't you single for what, two days?"

"That hardly counts." Then she realized how much time had passed, and a smile pulled at her mouth. "It's our one week anniversary today."