Continuing the Plan

"The beast inside of me is ready to come out. And today, I will let it run free." Olivia repeated for the thirty-second time, but only the first time without a mandrake leaf in her mouth.

"Wow you actually memorised it? I thought you've just been making random sounds all this time." Sirius said sarcastically from down the hall.

"Oh shush. Why do I have to repeat that anyway? It doesn't seem like much of a spell or anything." Olivia questioned.

"Oh it isn't. The actual incantation is Amato Animo Animato Animagus, but you only repeat that once you actually have the potion." Sirius revealed, a crooked look on his face.

"Then why am I repeating this?" Olivia questioned again, lowering her voice as to show emphasis without alerting anyone.

"Trust me, that one is a lot easier to focus on than the Latin gibberish. And you'll need something to focus on when you're transforming. Besides, do you not like my little mantra?" Sirius quipped again, and Olivia started to question if he ever said anything serious.

"Not really, but I'll take your word for it. Back on topic- What ARE the ingredients we'll need for this potion?" She asked again, not letting him distract her any further.

"Well we've got the mandrake leaf already, plenty covered with your DNA. We'll need sufficient water, of course, a pair of beetle's eyes, some ginger and salt for flavour, morning dew taken at sunrise,  and small amounts of magnesium and phosphorus, which we'll take from the 'salad' and the 'meat ' they give us, respectively." Sirius listed, crossing off mentally the ingredients he's scratched on the floor. He wouldn't actually mark them off until they'd gotten them, of course.

"So I'll hold off on eating supper tomorrow and we can work from there?" Olivia asked, failing to stifle a yawn. Sirius wondered how in the world she managed to sleep here, when he realised that ever since he'd gotten someone to talk to, he'd been able to doze off as well. This feeling oddly comforting to him, he bid her good night and they both went to sleep.

-

"Only drink half your water," Sirius whispered the next morning as they were eating breakfast.

"What am I going to do with the rest of it?" Olivia said, looking around and seeing nowhere she could even keep the water. It was bad enough that the spit-covered mandrake leaf had to go on her window sill, which she still had to stand on her bed to get to.

"That's the hard part. My two ideas are either the toilet or stealing the cup," Sirius said, the wrinkle in his plan frustrating him. Remus would know what to do.

"I kind of need to use the toilet at some point, so how am I supposed to go about stealing the cup?" Olivia studied the cup-the only part of the tray that separated, and her best shot at getting out of here. It was made out of some sort of ceramic for all she could tell, which seemed like a weird material to use but Olivia concluded they must have had their reasons.

"If you chose this path, I can't guarantee that you won't be punished for it. You might not even get away with stealing it." Sirius elaborated, deciding to leave out exactly what the punishment would be. He had a feeling that she'd be stubborn, but he really didn't want to see her get hurt, or go mad like so many others there. If this process took too long, she'd spend her second year here. And everyone in Azkaban knew that no one could last more than a year.

"I'm degraded enough already being here, I'm not going without a toilet. How do I steal the cup?" Olivia banished the thought of punishment, as she'd been doing since she started this escape attempt. She was a Gryffindor, dammit, and that meant she had to be brave.

"If you say so. To steal the cup, finish eating and throw the tray out into the hall. Make sure to shatter the tray completely- you only have one shot." Sirius suggested. He had never taken the cup, but he'd seen others do it. Some were punished, but some managed to get away with it. He hoped Olivia would be part of the latter.

"How is this going to work? If I shatter it, how will they know I also threw the cup?" Olivia questioned, already not liking this plan.

"The dementors aren't good for searching cells, so they'll assume the cup was smashed too. Although if you really want to be careful, try and make it sound like you shattered both." Sirius thought of the others- fully grown adults who had been locked in here for years- who had done this, then had smashed the cup to a sharp point. He shuddered at the idea and tried to put his mind past it.

"If you say so. When should I do it?" Olivia stored the cup in the shadows and twirled the empty tray around in her hands. She snapped a corner off, intending to make it her substitute cup-crashing sound, and found that it wasn't that hard to do, although she probably used her powers a smidge.

"Do it now, if the dementors are too close by you're sure to be punished," Sirius prompted, checking the halls again to see no one around.

Olivia lined up the tray vertically with the bars, and thought of all her frustrations. An unfair trial, being placed here without her choice, being stuck with an abusive family because of some stupid guy with a stupid name. She chucked the tray, feeling a sting in the back of her mind as her powers helped the tray along. The crash was loud, but Olivia didn't think of that. She took the corner she'd snapped off and chucked it at the same spot, her powers really pushing the shard forward.

A dementor flew towards her cell from out of nowhere, flowing its way through the bars. Olivia scuttled backwards, not expecting the confrontation. Once she was backed against her bed, she started to feel the effects of the soulless demon.

She couldn't think of anything good, as it always was. Flashes of her abuse assaulted her, and she began to scream out and shake violently. Tears were falling, but she wasn't aware enough of reality to tell. The slaps stung as if they were fresh, petrificus totalus froze her up in just the way Lucius wanted. She was shrieking something, but she couldn't hear herself through the torment.

"You filthy blood traitor- you can't escape this now," Lucius snarled down at her, leaving bruises as he went.

"Why are you such a cry baby? I would never cry so much." Draco said snobbily, causing her to cry even harder.

"Be quiet you bastard child," Narcissa held a pillow over Olivia's face as she kicked and screamed. Narcissa didn't kill her of course, just left her unconscious- and it was the only time she ever threw a tantrum.

She heard a woman's scream and a killing curse hissed out. A loud thump was heard. She started looking around for Harry, but she couldn't see him. She saw the shadow figure approach her brother's crib and screamed inaudible words- even her young mind could tell that there was danger.

The world went black after that, though she could feel the fright Harry felt when the killing curse was uttered once again.

~~

And another one! I realised how happy-go-lucky Azkaban was feeling, so I wanted to put in some dementor action.

Please leave feedback and I hope you enjoyed!