Chapter 8

"So, Fitzwilliam gave you a ride here?" Keri's expression is a mixture of skeptical excitement.

"Yes, I ran into my teacher, Mr. Benedict, in the library today, and because I'm me, I spilled coffee on my uniform," I explained (for the third time). "He offered me a ride so I didn't have to ride the bus looking like a total mess. And now, I am sitting in your sweatpants waiting for my stuff to dry."

"You have to admit, this sounds straight out of a John Hughes movie!" She gushes while bouncing up and down on her parent's oversized sectional.

"He was just being nice," I roll my eyes and sip appreciatively at the delicious mug of cocoa Keri made.

"Says the Molly Ringwald-ish character to her plucky, and strikingly attractive, bestie who is encouraging her to go for it!" Keri's eyes dance with glee.

"Can I use your printer for my essay?" I abruptly change the subject.

"Only if you admit that what just happened to you is totally romantic. C'mon, I need this!" Keri insists. "You may not want to admit it, but that guy is super hot, and you are so into him."

"Fine," I mutter into my mug. "If I say that I think he has a nice tush, will you let me print out my essay for tomorrow?"

"Yes," Keri giggles and bobs her head. "But you have to say it, out loud."

"I just did!"

"No, you proposed a compromise," Keri points out.

"Fine," I throw my head back and groan. "Mr. Benedict has a nice tuchus...Are you happy?"

"Very."

"Mommy, what's a tuchus?" Joey's dozy voice surprises us both as he wanders through the door.

"Oh, honey!" Keri springs up to tend to her son. "What are you doing out of bed?"

"I couldn't sleep," Joey croaks and rubs his tiny eyes. "I had a bad dream. I want some water. Can you read me a story?"

"Wow," Keri laughs as she leads her son out of the room to go back to bed. "You're just going to throw every excuse out there and see which one sticks, huh?

"What's Moo-ra doing here?" He asks as their voices fade down the hallway.

Alone on the couch, my mind drifts back to Mr. Benedict.

He was a perfect gentleman today and I had a nice time during our short drive. So, why does my broken brain want to picture my professor without his sweater?

Part of me, the irresponsible teenager that never got to act out part of me, desperately wants to get to know him. I want to allow the tiny shivers of excitement in my belly to grow into something more, but there's no point.

The buzzer on the dryer sounds out and I snap to attention.

It's late and I still need to print out my homework.

"Sorry about that," Keri returns just in time. "Joey's back in bed now. Oh, and my mom said I can use her van, so I can give you a ride home."

I grin at her and hoist myself off the couch.

We don't discuss Mr. Benedict at all after that, though I know Keri wants to.

It's well past nine when I walk into our trailer and the entire place is pitch black.

I figured my mom put herself to bed early, so I do the same. With a freshly laundered uniform and my essay ready to hand in, I manage to turn off my overactive brain and get some much needed shut-eye.