Chapter 42

Keri returns with her drink and two glasses of water in time for the lights and noise in the theater to dim.

A couple of spotlights blare at the curtain tracing large figure-eights until they come to rest and form one powerful circle of light.

Then, a long, slender leg emerges from the crease in the curtain ending in an elaborate chopine platform heel about seven inches long (at least).

With sensually slow and sweeping movements, a lithe figure writhed into the spotlight for us to admire the exquisite cut of their long muscles in a latex corset and a garter belt. 

Her feathery false lashes matched her bright green wig, which was decorated with tinsel and Christmas balls in honor of the season.

The curtain lifts up all at once to reveal a posse of queens all posed to slay on a bright red blinged-out sleigh. In the middle of them was a beefy Santa Clause in holiday hotpants and suspenders over his bulging pectorals.

I spot Tag near the back of the group with his gloved arms draped over Santa's strapping shoulders. Tag's stage name is Helena Handbasket and her costume is a silver sequin column dress with two daring slits and a plunging neckline.

The show is a randy retelling of It's A Wonderful Life with sultry pop songs and some of the sauciest dance moves I've ever seen. 

Tag played the angel, of course, dazzling us all with a gorgeous aerialist routine from a hoop dangling several feet over the audience. I had no idea he was so talented and I couldn't wait to ask all about it after the show! 

At intermission, Will excused himself to the bathroom while Keri and I talk about our favorite routines. 

"So," Keri polished off her colorful drink with a large slurp. "Do you think you're going home with me or with Will tonight?" 

"C'mon!" I snort into my sip of water. "Will you stop?" 

"Never!" She giggles. "I mean, the man is our ride home, so, the question is going to come up." 

"Not unless you bring it up!" I argue as my best friend's mouth drops open like she's about to make some snappy joke but I cut her off. "No, Keri, please don't make a big deal about this! I don't want Will to think that you and I spend all our time gossiping about our lack-of-sex life or my V-card."

Keri doesn't answer me or move because it seems that she's staring at something over my shoulder. 

"Will's right behind me, isn't he?" I ask her. 

Keri's head bobs mechanically. 

"You're not messing with me?" I ask Keri.

She nods as a blush torches my skin like paper. 

"Hi Will," Keri waves as I turn to face his kind smile. 

Oh, thank you, so much, Universe. 

"Hello," Will laughs. "Don't let me interrupt. You were saying, Moira?" 

He sets three new glasses of water down on our table and then climbs up onto his stool to grin at our stunned faces. 

"I'm going to get another one of those seasonal beverages before the Second Act," Keri slid off her seat to back away. 

"Did you hear any of that?" I ask Will. 

"Hear what?" He gives me an innocent look.

All I want to do is melt into the floor, but the truth is, we do need to talk about those topics (eventually). While we were in the audience at my friend's drag burlesque show didn't feel like the right time and place, however. 

Will reaches out to lace his fingers through mine over the table. The gentle swirls of his thumb on the back of my hand are calming my nerves. 

"Barf," Keri makes a funny noise as she unceremoniously returns to our table with her new drink. "You two are so cute it's sickening." 

She uses the short colorful straw poking out of her glass to stir the icy grapefruit-colored libation before taking a big gulp.

"Are you OK?" I lean over to ask her. 

"I'm awesome," Keri tilted her head to offer me a smile with a hostile edge. 

The lights in the room blink on and off, signaling the end of intermission. 

Keri is distant with me for the remainder of the show while she quickly drains her fruity beverage. 

The second act is much shorter than the first but the big finale certainly doesn't disappoint. 

Every queen in the cast lined up and linked arms like the Rockettes to high-kick in perfect formation while slowly spinning in a circle around a twinkly Christmas tree. Gold glitter rained down from the ceiling to cover everyone on the stage and in the audience as the music swelled to its crescendo. 

When the show is over, Helena Handbasket finds us in the audience. 

"Oh my goodness there you are!" Tag exclaims as he wraps his arms around me for a big hug. "Thank you so much for coming!" 

"I wouldn't miss it!" I squeeze him hard because I'm so darn excited. "The show was incredible! And I had no idea you could flip around in the air like that!"

"I recognize you," Tag eyes Will with a sassy smile. "We sort of met at that benefit for Serenity Rose."

"That's right," Will bobs his head. "You were helping Moira with the folding tables." 

"Oh, he's good!" Tag remarks and lifts an expertly penciled brow in my direction. "And who is this gorgeous creature?" 

"I'm Keri," my best friend leans over to admire Tag's costume. "And I think I love you." 

"I'm Tag," he replies with an effusive giggle. "And you're fun!" 

"I am fun!" Keri laughs and hiccups. "You should tell Moira that." 

"I tell you that all the time," I frown. 

"No," Keri swivels on her stool to reveal how unsteady she is. "You think I'm too much!"

"When did I say that?" I cry. 

Tag and Will's faces are volleying between the two of us. 

"Just now!" Keri gestures at the stage lights and slurs like she's intoxicated. "You told me I was making a big deal about your virginity! I was just trying to have a serious conversation about birth control because guys lie, all the time."

"Amen to that, honey," Tag rolled his eyes and smirked while I roasted in my own skin. 

I couldn't bare to look at Will. 

"See?" Keri points at Tag. "That queen gets it." 

"Keri," I try and calm her down. "I get it, OK? Let's get you another water." 

"Or," Tag suggests in a singsong voice. "The cast and crew are going out for drinks to celebrate our opening week. Do you guys want to come? Just a warning, though, everybody in this club is gettin' tipsy, and possibly butt-naked."   

"We're in!" Keri calls out and almost falls off her chair.

"Actually," I caution her. "I wish we could, but we have a long drive home to Auburn." 

Keri spins around to stick her tongue out at me.

"What's so special in Auburn?" Tag teases.

"My son," Keri holds up her phone with a photo of her and Joey grinning into the camera. "Joey."

"Oh!" Tag grabs the phone to study the photo an inch from his nose. "Look at that little punim!"

"He's my little monkey man," Keri gushes.

I love the way her eyes dance when she talks about her son. It lights Keri up from within.

"Um, Moira, do you see what I see?" Tag sounds positively shook when he looks up at me. "I mean, doesn't this little kiddo look just like that awful jerk whose fiancé got you fired at the benefit for Serenity Rose?"