Chapter 44

It took Keri most of the day to sleep off her hangover and I made sure to nurse her back to life with cold compresses and plenty of water. 

She didn't seem mad at me anymore, but that could have been because she was dealing with an epic headache. 

So, I spent the morning playing with Joey and hanging out with Mrs. Gotlieb who was planning a menu for an event she just booked. 

On my second trip to Keri's room to drop off some fresh laundry I found her awake and rubbing her swollen eyes. 

"How are you feeling?" I ask cautiously. 

"My eyelashes hurt," her scratchy voice reminds me that she needs a refill on her ice water. "What time is it?" 

"It's after two in the afternoon," I tell her while stacking neat piles of clothes on her dresser. "Do you want some more ibuprofen? It's been six hours since you've taken anything." 

"Yes, please," Keri moans and touches her forehead. "How do I feel clammy and waxy?"

"I'm going to get you more water, too," I let her know as I pick up her empty glass. 

"Thank you, Moira," Keri sighs. 

After dropping off a small pile of Joey's clothing, I head back downstairs to refresh Keri's drink and get her some more painkillers. 

Her ashen face brightens a little when she sees what I've returned with. 

"Hey," Keri rasps before taking the two pills with a gulp of water. "Moira, I'm really sorry I yelled at you last night. I don't remember what I said, but I remember what it was about." 

Gingerly, I sat down on Keri's bed to hear her out. 

"I know we've never talked about it," she continues. "And I don't exactly feel up for talking about Joey's biological dad right now, but I do want to talk about it." 

"Anytime, I'm here," I rest a hand on her arm. "And don't worry about last night. I'm so sorry that I kept shutting you down when you were just trying to look out for me. I love you, Keri." 

"I love you, too!" Keri falls into my lap for us to hug it out over my knees. "Where's my son?" 

"He's watching Peppa Pig with your mom," I assure her with a smile. "He helped me fold laundry too. He's such a great kid." 

"Which means he can't be Rory's!" Keri wails into my jeans. 

I stroke her silky hair and stay quiet because I don't know what else to say. 

If Rory was Joey's dad, I could see him making Keri's life harder than it already is. He could even try and use Joey to hurt her, which would also do irreparable damage to his own son. 

"It's your son, and you have every right to protect him," I say. "But Will told me that if Joey ends up being Rory's child, then, he could be owed an inheritance." 

Keri shifts in my lap but she doesn't look at me. 

"An inheritance?" She remarks. "How is that even possible?" 

"I dunno," I shrug and rub her back. "Rory's family has a ton of money. Like, generational wealth. But I don't think you or Joey would have any claim to it, though, without some sort of paternity test."

"How the hell do I get one of those?" Keri's muffled cry makes my heart ache. 

"I might know someone who can help," I suggest lightly. "Keira had to go through this process when her ex took her to court."