Coming Home

Dean X Reader

Synopsis: It's an AU, and that's all I'm going to tell you. Enjoy. :)

  "I believe that all of our lives we're looking for home and if we're really lucky, we find it in someone's loving arms. I think that's what life is- coming home." 

      You walked into your apartment, the mail in your hand. You sat down on the couch and started looking through the pile of envelopes, searching for one in particular. There it was. It was just like it was every time, a dark yellow envelope with a smudge of dirt here and there. The scribbling handwriting on the front showed your name and address, with a little heart next to your name like always. You gave a sad smile as you turned the envelope over and gently ripped it open. Taking out the letter as if it could break at any second, you opened it and began to read. 

    Y/n, 

       Hey baby. Things are good over here, we haven't lost anyone yet. I'm okay, I know you're constantly worried about that. It's actually really beautiful here, if you get past the guns and the violence. I miss you so much it hurts, and I promise I will be home the first chance I get. I know for a fact I can come visit for a few days at Christmas. I know that's quite a ways away, so I'm trying to pull a few strings to come earlier. I want you to know how much I love you, and how being in the army has made me realize how much I need you. I'll talk to you soon. I love you. 

                                                                       -Dean

   You set the letter down, sighing and letting a few tears slip out. You knew he loved serving for his country, and that he felt honored to have survived this long, but you missed him and you needed your soulmate. Your home phone rang, and you reached back to answer it. 

  "Hello?" You asked, trying to push all the sadness out of your voice. 

 "Y/n? Hey, I just called to check in. See how you're doing. I know Dean being gone is hard on you." Dean's brother, Sam's voice replied. 

   "Hey Sam, I'm fine. I actually just read a letter from Dean. He says he's okay." You replied. 

  "Y/n, I know you. I know you better than anyone, you're not fine." Sam replied, and your lip trembled as tears started to pour again. 

  "I just miss him a lot. I don't want him gone for all of my life." You replied, voice thick with tears. 

  "I know that, and I wish he were here too. I miss him. Y/n, go open your front door." Sam said, and you raised an eyebrow before standing up and walking over to the door. You pulled it open, and there was Sam with takeout and a movie. You smiled and hung up the phone. 

  "Sam, you didn't have to do this." You said, moving to let him in your apartment. He walked in, setting the food down on the coffee table. 

   "I know, but I wanted to. I know it's getting harder for you the longer he's gone. I thought I'd come and keep you company. Jess is out with some friends, and her mom is watching Maison." Sam said, gesturing to (first) his wife, and (second) his son. 

    "Thank you, you don't know how much this means to me." You said, closing the door and going into the kitchen to get a bottle of wine you had. You sat down next to Sam as he began taking all the food out of the bag. 

  "So, what movie did you get?" You asked, picking it up. You smiled as you realized what it was, (your favorite movie). 

   "You know me so well." You teased, standing up to put it into the DVD player. Once the previews were playing you went and sat back down as Sam handed you your food. 

  "I do know you well, that's how I knew you needed company tonight." Sam said around a mouth of food, and you couldn't help but laugh. He was, truly, your best friend. 

~The next day~ 

      You were walking down the aisle of the store, throwing things you thought you would need into the cart. Last night you had stayed up until 3 a.m. with Sam, blurting out every thought you've had about Dean being gone. And he had listened the whole time, and commented when he had something to say. It was nice, not being alone for once. Sighing, you grabbed a loaf of bread off the shelf and set it gently down in the cart. 

   "Would the owner of the 1967 Chevy Impala please come to checkout number 13 please?" A voice said over the speaker of the store. You inwardly groaned as you turned around to go see what was going on with your, technically Dean's, car. You walked up to the checkout, where a pimply teenage boy stood. 

  "Is there something wrong with my car?" You asked, a surprisingly annoyed tone in your voice. You were not in a good mood today. 

   "Yeah, your lights are on." He replied, his voice cracking at least twice. You nodded, told him to watch your cart, and headed out to turn the damn lights on your car off. You walked over, staring at the asphalt as you walked. You got to your car and looked up, before gasping. Standing there, looking rather proud in his army uniform, was none other than the love of your life Dean Winchester. You ran into his arms, instantly sobbing into his shoulder. He kissed the top of your head, holding you close. 

   "What are you doing here?" You asked, looking up at him. He smiled down at you, wiping away your tears with his thumb. 

   "They sent me home, I got hurt when a bomb blew, nothing to serious, but I've officially been relieved of duty. I get to stay here with you baby." He said, and you grinned before pulling him into a kiss.