19 / What Matters Most

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

 19 / What Matters Most

This was probably an immediate reaction. 

I found my hands grabbing onto Candace's hair like no tomorrow.

Instantly, the both of us were being pushed back out to the entrance. The door slammed shut so no one could get out and see or take evidence of what was happening. Everything was blinding for a moment. Frustration, anger, embarrassment were taking over.

"Maisie, you need to let go!" A voice yelled, not belonging to Candace.

"Vanessa, don't get into this!" Another voice shouted.

Vanessa?

Snapping out of my fury, I realized that Candace was helpless as I was tugging onto the strands of her hair while Vanessa was holding her back. The three Valentino's were also there with the most surprised expressions on their handsome faces, trying to stop the three of us in our brawl.

Huffing, I rapidly unleashed Candace's hair and took a step back. Her eyes were wide open as she was gasping for breath. Vanessa eventually let go, and her green eyes were dark. My friend's usual upbeat smile was long gone.

I yelled directly at Candace, tuning out everyone around us, "What the hell was that for?"

Even though the weather was chilly, I was literally burning up. The drink she spilled on me was cascading down my dress, my neck, and it was sickening. I've seen this so many times in movies but to experience it was worse than I thought.

Candace was fixing her posture, and she barked back, "What were you doing with Bryce?"

Her childish motives explained everything.

Whipping my hair behind me, I felt my voice shake from bewilderment.

"Is that it? We were just outside, for crying out loud! You're acting like Bryce is your pet dog, and you're always keeping him tied!"

I didn't know where all of this was coming from. I just had enough.

No one ever messed with Maisie Lockhart.

Candace took a step closer to me, her eyes turning into thin slits.

"Bryce is mine. You need to back off!"

"Candace, you self-centered moron!" A voice broke into our argument.

Everyone's eyes turned to that young yet loudly projected voice. It was Carly. She was coming from the opposite direction as she stomped down our way. The nine year old was breathing heavily, and her once sweet blue-green eyes transitioned angrily.

Candace scrunched her nose in disbelief and let out a fake laugh. 

"Carly, this is none of your business! You know what, you're nothing but an annoying little girl who tries so hard to be smart!"

She had got to kidding me.

At that instance, I thought Candace had broken her little sister's heart saying that, but Carly gritted her teeth and argued back, "At least I'm not stupid like you! You're more annoying! All your care about is attention! Maisie did nothing wrong, but you always ruin everything!"

The sisters were at it, arguing with one another. It irked me because Candace was the older sibling, yet she was bringing her little sister down like that. Carly was only nine! Candace was indeed ruining everything — for all of us. My fists tightly clutched together, seeing the two bicker.