30 / Fate

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

30 / Fate

56 missed calls.

That was how many phone calls I purposely didn't pick up since yesterday. They ranged from Bryce to Logan to David to Vanessa. Even though I did feel guilty for ignoring all the calls, I was too busy and focused on trying to contact a lawyer to help my family and our case the very next day. 

After going through countless lawyers, none of them would follow up. They all said the same excuse that they couldn't do anything the moment I mentioned the name Valentino.

Only then did I realize how powerful of a name the Valentino's held.

It was frustrating, but the last thing I wanted to resort to was to ask Bryce for help. I didn't want Bryce to go against his own mother. Mason didn't understand that though. 

Despite me telling Mason my explanation, he believed that asking Bryce would be the only way to get our market back. There was just too many things going on already.

I was Maisie Lockhart. I would be able to work it all out.

Well, that was what I had been trying to tell myself.

Sighing, I put aside the market business for a moment and collected my mind back to my family and the Valentino's. This entire day got me nowhere, and it was almost sundown.

Right now, I was standing on top of a hill somewhat close to my neighborhood, taking in the view of the city. I used to go here all the time with Mason after he woke up from his coma. Even though we'd be silent most of the time here, it was comforting. This was a spot where we could just think.

Even if getting the market back was the top priority in my head, my attention-seeking heart was secretly yearning for Bryce. 

I tried to forget about it, but seeing his pained face when I left was haunting me. How could I do that to him? His mother has nothing to do with our relationship.

However, his mother's words were coming back to slap me in the face as a reminder.

"Do you not see that when you and my son are together, no one will be happy. Do you want your family to suffer because you are being selfish? Do you want Bryce to suffer because you are being selfish? And do you want my family to suffer because you are being selfish?"

And then Logan.

Anger was starting to fuel me momentarily until I started to wonder if it was because I chose Bryce. Did Logan keep it from me, knowing that I would get hurt in the end? I never thought of Logan to be that person though. Shaking my head, I was starting to regret walking away from my conversation with him. I should have listened to what Logan was about to say, but I was too upset to even think straight.

These mixed emotions were messing me up badly.

My thinking charade was interrupted when I heard someone clear their throat behind me. Feeling a shot of shock run up my spine, I slowly glanced over my shoulder.

If I had to choose between a creeper or Logan Valentino right now, I would choose the creeper.

Okay, maybe not.

"How did you find me here?" I questioned from the silence, trying to keep a blank expression.

Logan moved closer as he replied in a low murmur, "Mason."

Mason, you're killing me here.

When he approached me, Logan gazed at the scenery momentarily before throwing in a compliment, "This is a pretty nice spot you have here."