VIII ■ Marked

"I'm afraid so," Willie replied. Even her unruly curls seemed to bob up and down in agreement. "You see, once we extract your wolf's essence-- once we eliminate her soul-- there will be nothing you can do, to ever get her back again."

"Wait, wait, wait--" I gave a quick snort of laughter. "That's it?" I challenged, shaking my head in disbelief. "That's the price?"

Willie nodded. "You will be entirely human."

Well, that didn't sound so bad, I thought. Hell, I was more than ready.

"If you're sure that's all I have to worry about, sign me up!" I exclaimed.

Willie looked reluctant though, tossing a concerned glance my way.

"You do realize you won't be able to mark your mate. Feel his presence. Carry his pups?"

My mouth opened and shut again, somewhat resembling a fish as I floundered in thought. Freddy wasn't mine, so there had never been any reason to mark him. And children had just always been out of the question. But Gabriel--

"This is what I want," I decided. There was no doubt in my mind.

"Alright," Willie heaved slightly as she hesitantly agreed. "But I'm going to need some more raspberry root."

I rushed over to the cabin's entrance, wanting to get Willie those herbs before she suddenly changed her mind. Without so much as a second thought, my hand wrapped around the cool metal of the door handle, and a moment later I flung it open.

"Alexis? What's wrong, dear?" Willie asked, but I couldn't answer. With a startled gasp, I immediately froze, my heart beating at a rapid pace.

In a little under a week, His Majesty, had grown quite the impressive beard. He looked utterly savage as he stood there, muscles bulging, shirtless and barefoot in Willie's yard. I couldn't help but gulp as my eyes grazed over his mighty powress on display for the entire world to see.

As he caught a glimpse of me standing just outside the door, his nostrils flared and his eyes turned an animalistic black. If he had been unsure as to whether or not I was truly staying in this cottage, he wasn't anymore.

Taking a step back, I could feel the color drain from my face. "Nope. Not today." I shook my head, slamming the door shut.

"Goodness Child, whatever is going on?" Wille furrowed her eyebrows before placing a hand on her hip. A moment later, she got the answer she was looking for.

"Alexis!" His thunderous roar boomed from outside. "Open the door now!"

If not for Willie's purple potion, I might of listened. But without the traitorous emotions of that stupid creature clogging up my judgment, I thankfully still had my wits about me.

With a snicker, I leaned back against the door. "And what if I don't," I challenged. "What are you going to do? Huff and puff and blow the house down?"

"I just might."

I bit back a scream as I fell away from the door. His voice was so close, there was no way he was still standing out in the yard. Rushing forward, I flipped over the lock.

"Alexis, open the door!"

"No!" I yelled back. "Just, go away!" But I knew now, he would never leave me alone.

The frail wooden door, trembled as he beat against it with his fist. Each cry of my name grew more and more desperate. Would he really break it down?

"Wilhelmina Nettle, I demand you open this door at once--"