Chapter 1| Virgin's Sacrifice

Chapter 1:
Virgin's Sacrifice

~Natalie

“Do you have anymore questions about today's lesson?” I asked the class as I closed the book that I was holding in my hands. I looked at the familiar faces which were staring back at me with big, questioning eyes. I knew that it was hard for them at this age to understand what I had just told them. History was already a very complicated subject and to throw into that vampires and witches made everything even worst. But it was something that had to be told because that was the world that we lived in today. A world were the vampires ruled, witches were hated and humans were slaves. Though, that was something that they didn't have to know...yet.

“No, questions?” I asked surprised, raising my eyebrow.

A small hand was raised and I looked at Max, smiling at him warmly and nodding my head for him to speak.

“Ms Quincey, have you ever seen the King?” he asked me, eyes wide with wonder.

I shook me head.

“No, I haven't. He doesn't come to our village often, he has responsibilities.” I told him, lying through my teeth. I couldn't tell him that his Highness didn't want to be seen by us. We were just his servants, living in his Kingdom and begging for him to show mercy on us. Any interaction with us would disgrace him, that's why he never showed himself to us.

Another kid lifted his hand.

“Are witches bad?” Samuel asked me.

“No, you dumb head. They are cool.” Clara told him, hitting him on the shoulder playfully.

I gave her a warning look and she lowered her head, murmuring something under her breath to him.

“Not all of them. Some use their magic for good.” I replied with a smile. Truth was I didn't know much about the witches, they disappeared a long time ago before I was even born, but my father told me about them. He said vampires hated them because they were more powerful and could use their magic against them. They left the village when the vampires took over the Kingdom, but it still remains a mystery why the most powerful beings  bowed to the creatures of the night.

Samuel didn't seem to like my reply. His nose wrinkled up as he looked down at his book. “Then why don't they live here with us?” he questioned.

“Because they don't exist anymore.” Sam told him, jumping into the conversation.

I smiled at them. “We don't know that.” I don't them. That was the truth. No one new what really happened to them. Some say the vampires hunt them down and killed them all, whereas, other say that they hide in a village outside the Kingdom.

Looking outside the window I saw the parents that had gathered outside, waiting for their kids. “I think that's all for today kids. I'll see you tomorrow.” I told them and immediately a chaos erupted as they all stood up and started collecting their stuff. They opened the doors and ran outside, laughing as they found their parents.

I tore my gaze away from them and took my books from the desk, placing them inside my bag. Usually I stayed behind longer to clean up the place, but today I had to leave early. It was the first day of winter today, the snow had finally fallen upon our village once again and painted the paths white, meaning that it was time for his gift to be chosen.

This was one of our King's rules.

Every year when the first layer of snow falls the villagers are to choose a young, virgin girl and offer her to the vampire King. If we do it he will protect us and keep us away from any harm, but if we don't he will destroy our village and bathe in our blood. Today it's that day.