Chapter 2| Ivan

Chapter 2: Ivan

~Natalie

"How do you know my name?" I asked him, keeping a straight face and trying not to show my fear to him.

His highness smirked at me and tilted his head to the side, narrowing his eyes as they slowly started to turn a lighter shade of blue, almost white. I inhaled sharply, it was the first decent breath I'd taken since he had showed himself to me.

"I know everyone in this village. And you have always been one of my favourite, Natalie." he replied casually. My eyebrows creased in confusion at his words. I thought the King never came to our village. They said that he never left his castle, he preferred to stay isolated and interact with humans.

Realisation suddenly hit me as I looked at the man.

"You are not the King." I stated and this time he smiled at me, revealing his sharp fangs at me. The veins under his eyes got more visible and his features became more sinister, those of a true monster of the night.

"Not only beautiful, but smart too. The king is going to adore you." he said, moving around the table slowly as his hand trailed the surface of it. He chuckled as he watched my frightened expression. Vampires always enjoyed making their victims scared, it gave them the satisfaction of being in control and it also made the blood tastier. But I knew he wouldn't try anything with me.

"Who are you?" I dared to asked him.

He stopped moving and with one swift movement of his hand he undid the rope that was keeping my hands tied together. The he forced me up so that we were face to face. "Let's just say that I'm the one responsible to take you to the king." he replied, tilting his head to the side. His eyes narrowed and he brought his face closer to me. "I can feel your fear, sweetheart. I can hear your blood rushing through your veins, your heart pounding in your chest." he whispered as he closed the distance between us. His eyes trailed down to my neck and my body immediately stiffened in response. I knew that he wouldn't try anything on me, but it was my body's natural reaction. He still remained a threat.

"You're not mine to take, don't worry." he told me. I was starting to feel cold, I was shaking as I wrapped my arms around my body.

His eyes met mine and they captivated me, they held me still and I couldn't bring myself to speak. I could only look at him. His pupils dilated and his lips parted as he spoke to me in a low, seductive tone."You will go to sleep now, Natalie." he whispered to me.

He was using his compulsion ability on me and as much as I tried to resist his command, I couldn't do it. My eyelids were heavy and my whole body fell limp as he wrapped his arms around me. He lifted me up, holding me bridal style in arms and I forced myself to look at him before I drifted off into unconsciousness. He looked down at me and raised one eyebrow, his jaw clenched and his eyes darkened.

And I did as he said.

* * *

I woke up when the rays of the rising sun hit my forehead. I felt slightly disoriented as my eyes wandered around the unfamiliar room I was in. Little by little my memory came back and my face dropped. I must be in the castle. Yesterday I was chosen and sacrificed in the old temple for the king, a man came to take me and then...then he brought me here. I stretched my limps and turned the other way around, to avoid the sun in my eyes. The mattress was so soft, the pillows smelled sweet and I buried my face in them, tears were slowly building up in my eyes as memories of my home flashed through my mind. My mother. My father. My friends. I already missed them all. I bit my lip and let out a shaky breath, I wasn't going to cry. I was stronger than people thought and it was my time to prove it.