Chapter 3| The Vampire King

Chapter 3:
The Vampire King

~Natalie

Don't panic, Natalie.

You're stronger than this.

I kept repeating myself as I stepped out of the door. A long narrow corridor was the first thing I saw, candles hanging by the walls lit up the path, giving the palace a more bone chilling feeling. I gulp, taking a deep breath as the door behind me closed and I was left alone to walk myself to the king's realm. Cynthia had told me how to get there, but the castle was huge and the chances of me getting lost in the way were high.

I could also try and find the way out of here, but if I bumped into a vampire on the way I would get killed in an instant. Vampires were cruel creatures, they didn't show mercy to anyone, not even their own kind.

Looking behind me at the door I debated with myself, Cynthia would push me back out and force me to get to the king if I stepped a foot in my room again. So I held my head high and started walking slowly, taking hesitant steps. The dark walls and disturbing paintings hanging on the walls gave the castle a ghostly and dangerous charm. As I started approaching the end of the corridor a big painting caught my attention. It was a man, dressed in a crimson cloak, with jewellery in his hands and had a crown on his head. His face was pale and the shadow's done by the painter on his face made sure to show every wrinkle the man had. His lips were pressed together into a thin line, his brows were creased together and he looked angry. Dangerous. He had to be someone important, obviously, maybe the previous king or even the king.

I studied the picture more, but I had never seen that man before. I had read a few books about the vampire history, Vladimir was the name of the first vampire that stepped on earth and he was said to be ruthless, driven by desire for blood. The man on the painting seemed to have that look. Stern and filled will power, that's what his dark eyes showed.

Suddenly a cool breeze hit my body, causing goosebumps to appear on the surface of my skin and I took a step back from the painting. I looked around me, I had to turn to the right corner in order to reach the king's realm. My fist tightened on my side and I was about to turn around when a dark shadow passed from behind me, blowing my hair. I gasped looking behind me, but I didn't have time to react as the shadow now appeared in front of me and pushed my back on the wall, knocking the wind out of my lungs.

"Look what we have here. A pathetic human." The woman in front of me said. She was holding me by the neck, forcing me to keep my head high and look at her as she pressed her long, sharp nails into my skin. I was breathing heavily as I looked at her with wide eyes and she only smiled, showing me her pointy fangs. Her light blue eyes observed me intently, taking in every small detail on my face and then trailed down my neck. I gulped.

"What is she doing here?" Another woman asked, appearing behind the one that was holding me. She played with her blonde curls and averted his dark eyes on me, disgust evident on her face.

"Speak, human." The first one demanded, tightening her grip around me as the blonde one move to her side.

"I'm t-the king's slave. His gift." I managed to say. I was glad I didn't stutter and ruin everything. If I showed fear around them that would only add to their satisfaction and I didn't want them to look at me as weak and pathetic.

"Oh, she's Lucien's little virgin gift. Sorina, don't drink from her." The blonde one said, folding her arms over her chest. She smirked and placed her hand on the other woman's shoulder, pulling her back. Sorina let go of me and took a step back, pressing her red lips together. Pushing her black, long hair behind her back she looked at her friend.