6.

C h a p t e r  S i x
JUST LIKE IN THE MOVIES

Doing what you like is freedom.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

ABIGAIL

The halls were silent beside the noise of my sneakers squeaking along the tiled floor as I walked with my schedule in hand. My eyes glide across the paper, lifting my head occasionally as I stride pass each room, searching for my first class. I somehow lost my sense of direction in the maze of halls, turning down one hall that lead to another, returning back to a place I've been before.

My conscious floats away from me, conjuring the image of the boy, the deep richness his eyes held as they embarked on me; it still lefts its effects, the breathlessness and the way my pulse beat out of control.

And as if my earlier prayers were answered, I finally reached my first-period class. I peep through the small glass window in the center of the door, spotting a man standing in front of rows of desks filled with students, his loud and firm voice could be heard from outside of the door as he spoke and lectured.

I look around at the unfamiliar faces and my nerves grew and flooded my veins as reality began to sink in that I was really starting school with people I didn't know. I was kind of hoping that Dylan would have a class with me being he's the only person I've talked to, a little familiarity won't hurt anyone.

I glanced over at the plate beside the door that read the name and room number.

Biology, Mr. Newman | 406

Heaving a sigh, I gently place my hand on the handle, opening the door. All eyes were on me within an instant, the same reaction happening the moment I stepped foot on the property.  Some people tilted their heads a bit, not missing the small actions of others, nostrils flaring others, some just plain. . stared. I strode further into the room, crossing over the threshold, turning away from the row of students  as I set my eyes on the teacher who was intensively gazing at me.

I cleared my throat, gathering myself, "Hi. . . I'm Abigail." I handed him my schedule and another piece of paper which had the information from my last school and my process of transferring here.

I watched him slide on small reading glasses.

The silence was starting to bother me as he quietly inspected my paper. A pen drop could be heard with how quiet it was. The heat of the class's gazes on my skin burned, it felt like fire was crawling and burning every part of skin that was exposed for them to see. I felt like a showcase of food to a pack of wolves that were waiting for their time to strike.

I snuck a glance over my shoulder when the sound of whispering reached my ears, a handful of students were leaned into each other and speaking quietly.

"Well, Welcome to Crystal High," the teacher suddenly speaks up, causing me to whip my gaze back to him.

He looks up from the paper. "You can call me Mr. Newman and I'll be your biology teacher for the rest of the year," he smiles briefly before handing me back my schedule and turning me around to the front.

"I'll like to introduce a new student," he announced, his large hands clamping down on my shoulders.

My eyes shoot from face to face, watching as interest crosses every single one, people who were slouching, sat up straight staring at me as if they already weren't until slowly every pair of eye in the class was focused on me. The ones in the front row seemed to lean forward a bit, too close, causing me to step back a little into the teacher with a frown.