45.

C h a p t e r   F o r t y- F i v e
DEATH

The trouble is, you think you have time.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

Fifteen minutes later, in between with me pacing around the house and tending to London, the doorbell rang sending my body into overdrive. I cross the room to the window and peep out to see Noah, Samantha, Stella, and Susan standing at the door, staring ahead; relief rushes through my veins as I move away from the curtains and towards the door.

"Hey," I greet them when I open the door.

They all snap their heads towards me and instantly I could identify the pity in their eyes, I didn't want to be pitied, it only reminds me of what I failed to do.

"Hey, Abigail," Sam greets back first, her eyes sad for me.

I present a weak smile and open the door farther while moving to the side. "Come in, it's nice and warm then standing out there."

With muttered thanks, they all file inside before I shut and lock the door behind them, their steps were hesitant and slow as they moved into the living room; taking seats and looking awkward. Stella was standing by the wall when I walked in and suddenly threw her arms around me, hugging me tightly.

"I'm so sorry," she whispers, her voice cracking as if she was about to cry. "It's going to be okay though, we're here for you."

She locked her hands around my neck and just held me, patting my back, the gesture was unexpected and left me frozen but soon I hugged her back, shutting my eyes when I felt the burning sensation in my nose as the tears crawled forward.

"Yeah. . . I know."

Samantha lingered behind when Stella pulled away, her eyes soft as she took Stella's place and hugged me tightly, rocking me slightly. She didn't need to say anything, her actions speaking louder. After pulling away, we move to the couches, Stella and Samantha sitting on the three-seater sofa with Susan while I sat in the love seat across from the with Noah sitting in a single cushion chair.

"Do you guys know what's going on?" I ask, breaking the silence and steering the darken atmosphere into something different.

Stella sighs, "It's exactly what you heard, rogues are breaching the borders out of nowhere and basically every warrior are on the situation," she explains, "Everyone was told to stay in the house but right now I'm worried about Justin."

"I'm sure he's fine," Sam tells her, patting her hand. "They'll be back in no time, and we all will be fine until they return."

If only she knew how bad her words will backfire.

  ~ • ~ 

"He is so cute," Stella gushed, grabbing London's finger and wiggling it when his smaller ones closed around it.

I smile as Samantha and Stella coo over London to pass by time and get there mind off the threat that swarms outside, I set the tray of drinks and a few snacks on the coffee table before turning to Noah who's been quite the whole time.

I move over towards him, his attention turning away from his lap and to me.

"You okay?" I ask.

He nods, "I'm just worried about my sister and Mom."

I frown, "You didn't have to come here if you wanted to, you could have stayed home, just having Sam and Stella would have—"