11.

C h a p t e r  E l e v e n
A HELPING HAND

All you need is someone who joins in on your weirdness.

♦ ° ♦ ° ♦

The tips of my fingers run up and down my bandaged ankle, the swelling very noticeable. I stare long and hard, the gears in my head turning as I think back to the previous night; everything appearing hazy.

"Hey, Mom?" I grab her attention, twisting the sheet between my fingers.

"Yes, sweetie?" she gazed lifted up as she stared at me.

I bit my lip, rolling it between my teeth, somehow suddenly nervous, nervous to ask. "What happened to my ankle?"

It couldn't have been a dream, it felt too. . . vivid, too real. The pain I felt, the fear that coursed through my veins when that. . wolf showed up.

"You fell off the bed and your foot got caught in the sheets twisting your ankle."

A frown immediately made it's way to my face, she was lying straight through her teeth, I had no proof that it didn't happen but she just was; her face didn't show it but her body language did.

Those glowing red eyes still haunt my thoughts, never have I saw something so wild, so feral, and bloodthirsty. And that growl. . . a violent shudder ran down my spine as goosebumps began to arise on my arms. It was then the school bell ringing that I was brought out of my deep thoughts, students rushed out of their seats and out the door eager to leave the classroom.

I slowly rise up, careful not to step wrongly with my ankle and made my way through the desks.

"Have a good rest of the day, Miss Simpson," called out Mr. Newman.

I look over my shoulder just before I step out of the room and into the hall and give him a smile in return. "You too," I reply.

I then limp out the class, mingling with the sea of students in the hall.

Not even a second later my mind began to drift, a series of questions immediately running laps around my brain making me unaware of my surroundings, nor of the person who rushed in my direction who neither was he paying attention.

'Why do I have a feeling Mom was lying?' I thought, 'Was there ever a wolf that night?'