Story Structure

Yes, this is a book about where ideas come from, but narrative structure is still an important element. Hear me out.

There are numerous narrative formulae specific to genre or format. For example, if you are writing a sweeping fantasy novel, you might use the Hero's Journey; if you are writing a play you may follow the Three Act Structure.

No matter what established formula you use, they all fit in the basic structure of orientation, problem & solution.

From old myths and legends to modern manga, every story fits this general mould. We, as readers, have become accustomed to it - but why?

Well, why do we read? Escapism, perhaps? Knowledge? Empathy? While all of these are true for some of us, I believe there is one bigger reason which encompasses all ways of consuming a story - spoken word, written word, film etc.

In our real life experience, we are met with obstacles, struggles, and ordeals. Reading about fictional characters (or real ones, in the case of biographies) who meet and overcome obstacles empowers us to believe we can do the same.

So it is important to consider the basic structure: orientation, problem, solution.

But using structure can also help us generate ideas. If you have a 'seed idea' for a story - like a grown-up running away from home - that is just an idea. In order to generate more ideas and build a story, we can use narrative structure.

Your turn:

First, there must be a problem. What is it?

Brainstorm at least eight ideas about what might go wrong when a grown-up runs away from home. They can be realistic or fantastical - or a mix of both!

Secondly, we need a solution. Pick one of the problems you came up with and brainstorm eight possible solutions to this problem.

And we have a story!