Awakening - Part 14

No bright light. No long tunnel or stairway. No looking down upon the physical world. No drawing nearer to a place of peacefulness, tranquility and love. There was only non-existence as Michael ceased to be.

             *********************************************************************

A festive table set with all manner of delicacies, each chosen for appearance as well as taste. The table placed in a room resplendent with seasonal ornamentation and lighted by candles large and small keeping the night at bay. Sweet smelling hardwood logs snap in a fireplace, warming the dining room in a house no longer existing. No sounds other than fireplace logs and a soft regular tick-silence-tock of a grandfather clock in an adjacent room. No one sits at table. The house is empty.

            **********************************************************************

No specific point in time suddenly determines that you 'are'. Nor is there a dawning awareness as you work out the realization of your own existence. Sentience neither creeps in on cat's feet nor does it slap you in the face. It refuses to be defined in human terms. Just as you cannot know of your own non-existence, you do not suddenly become aware of your existence. Consciousness, though part of a physical process, is not derived by operation of physical process. It does not spring alive from dead, unfeeling, unthinking material molded into physical form. Living, feeling and thinking consciousness, the 'spark of life', does not magically come from that which has no life — there is no spontaneously drawing of life from the lifeless. Something apart from the process, outside of it, transcendent to it, is required to impart life where there is none.

           **********************************************************************

Sounds heard far off but not known as such; light gradually increasing without form; the intricacies of consciousness without perception — existence. A small area barely diminishes the blackness, separating from the surrounding dark until it is distinguishable as something ...different. Feeling of movement too becomes a separate reality — something changed in the environment. There is an unformed realization of something more, something not part of the blackness, as an appreciation for a separate existence begins to take hold, though there is no understanding in this first incomprehensible acknowledgement.

 The new experience bringing the knowing of — but not about — sound, light and motion causes a confused acceptance of self. There is no sense of placement, nothing to be touched, no awareness that anything should be seen or heard or felt or smelled or tasted.

There is only an overwhelming curiosity.

         **********************************************************************

The night fails to intrude upon the peace in the empty room. The failure of darkness outside the walls only serving to enhance tranquility within them. Fragrant aromas mingle, filling the air with a subtly pervasive invitation to partake. The illusion of time passes unmeasured.

          ********************************************************************

Something is not right. Individual existence is known, but it is without placement in a physical setting. There is no fear. No discomfort. There is only something to think about; a unique experience as whatever you might be 'exists', inundated in grayness.

           *********************************************************************

Nathaniel sits in a chair pulled aside, pushed back from the table. His hands are folded in his lap and his head is bowed. No other chair around the table is occupied; it is not yet time and Nathaniel is uncertain as to when that time might be. He does know it is close at hand.

           **********************************************************************

Reflecting from the many small gold rectangles polished to a mirror like quality, candle light creates a beautiful mosaic on the tunic. Though beauty is said to be a gift of God, Nathaniel takes no notice of it. He sees things more wondrous than can be imagined and therefore cannot marvel at that which is lesser. Eyes open, he sits casually, waiting, thoughts occupied by the empty chair across from him. Two crystal goblets, cut in designed perfection, are in place. Each glass is half filled with the richest red wine, their facets also reflecting the candle light.

               **********************************************************************

There is a salty taste. This is something new — not the saltiness, but taste itself. It is pleasing not for what it is but because it strengthens the acceptance of existence.

                 **********************************************************************

Nathaniel's eyes brighten in recognition of his guest. He sits straighter, pulling at the bottom of his tunic to smooth out the wrinkles. As he does so, an affable smile spreads across his face as he prepares to welcome his friend.

                  ***********************************************************************

The grayness is gone and all is awash in color. The sounds are crisp, distinctly clear, crackling into his ears. Everything smells sensuously wonderful, creating an overpowering desire to taste. There is confusion in his mind as it attempts to understand all of the unknown familiarity being forced upon it. All he senses is new, although at some other time it had been known. There is something else ...something not truly felt for a long time. There is emotion. There is love.

                    **********************************************************************

Outside the night darkened window large fluffy snowflakes drift slowly down, becoming clearer as they approach the room's light. But the light reaches out only so far and any snowflakes not within the gathered glow are unseen, lost in the darkness.