Chapter One - 'Hi.'

You know what sucks? Being a broke ass college student. Yeah my parents send me money every now and then, but I hate asking for it. So when I got this email talking about we need you to be a tutor, it was as if the heavens opened up.

Three days after I completed the application and all of that stuff, I was clear to tutor for three classes I aced: World Art and Culture, Survey of Art History: Ancient to Gothic and Excursions of Math (math for people who can't do 2+2 without using their fingers, hi there!).

It was practically the middle of the semester. I pretty much assumed nobody would need help, so my pockets stayed empty as usual. Suddenly, I got a forwarded email. I expected it to be something like 'Prepare to sell your textbooks for $$$$$$,' but we all know they don't give us shit. I learned my lesson freshmen year when I purchased a $200 textbook we never used, and sold it to the college store for $22. True story.

"Jae Shin Park:

Your Survey of Art History: Ancient to Gothic with Professor Beck tutor is Analise Williams. Her email is <williaal199> and phone number is (347) 420-0069.

Please contact your tutor by Friday to set up your sessions. Failure to do so may result in your tutor being re-assigned to another student."

I sighed and read the rest of the email. Now either I can contact them or they can contact me. If they requested me, then they should contact me ASAP. I stared at my phone in anticipation. It's already 4 PM and I'm done with classes, maybe they're in a class.

Yet three hours later, I didn't get anything.

"You're so tight." said my roommate as she closed her book.

"Suck my ass, honestly." I responded.

She laughed and took off her glasses, "Wanna get food?"

"Yeah, let me text this annoying guy real quick. He must really want to fail. How do you request a tutor and not contact them?!"

Narrowing my eyes, I put their number in.

'Hey this is Anna, your tutor for ancient to gothic. When are you free? ☺️'

I hopped off of my bed and put my sweats on. Julie put her fire red curls into a ponytail and grabbed her sweater. We both headed towards the U.

Someone held the door for us and I thanked them. I spotted some of the rugby team and waved at them. Reina, the scrum captain, came up to me and gave me a side hug. "What's up? You weren't at practice today."

"Sorry, I had a ton of work to get done."

She tsk'd as she shook her head, her light blue eyes narrowing as her strawberry blonde hair moved side-to-side, "Try to balance academics and rugby, okay? We have a game coming up and gotta have everyone prepared. I better see you tomorrow, we really need you for line outs!"

"Alright."

She smiled and walked back to the rest of the team. They were making dumb faces at me, so I made one in return. We went to the Breakfast House and waited on line. This place is amazing since they make breakfast from 8 AM to 9 PM. Once it was my turn, I realized my friend Matthew was taking orders. Since day one, he memorized my order and tends to cut my ass about it.

"Homemade white, no butter, with two eggs over hard, shredded cheese on top and lettuce?" I grinned and nodded.

"Fucking rabbit." He said as he turned to the cooks and repeated my order.

"That's why you take orders 'cause you can't cook for shit." Matthew laughed as I stepped to the side.

Julie and I waited for our food to finish. Once they called ours, we took it and waited on another line to pay for it.

"Are we going to sit with the team?"

I looked over at them, "Not today. I skipped practice, so I feel bad."

It was our turn and they swiped our cards. We walked over to a high top and sat down. As I was about to take a bite out of my sandwich, my phone vibrated. I took it out and instantly got tight.

'Hi.'

"This guy..." I muttered.