Star Trek: fanfic from the heart

Interview to nouveau author RaymondCasillas on his fanfic works.
By:kathiel12
****************************

WP: When did you begin to write Star Trek fanfics?

RC: Actually, I'm new in the fanfic genre. My first published works are, proud to say, here in Wattpad. That would be October of last year, 2016.

WP: What motivated you?

RC: My motivation got it's fuse lit by a writing contest from your kathiel12's Facebook fan page. I came across this page, Publish Your Star Trek Fanfics Here, and I went hyped all about it. I was like, "Seriously, I can empty this brainful of Star Trek webisodes in writing?" I saw my chance and decided to give it a shot. It was very self-satisfying.

    My very first ST fanfic, ever,in spanish

in spanish. I make all my covers from scratch.
My niece modeled for the ghoulish entity.

WP: What's your favorite Trek character?

RC: Who else, but Spock? I'm a Spock at heart. I'm always trying to bring reason into things and do what's logical.  I'm also very analytical over decision making. And that starts every morning with what I'm having for breakfast. (Damn you, Spock! Get outta my kitchen!)
Data and Picard are second and third runner ups.

WP: What's your favorite series of all the franchise?

RC: I grew up watching ST TOS, The Flintsones, Lost In Space and a whole bunch of 60's and 70's series in a 13" b/w set in a back room of my grandparents house since I was like 5 or 6. At that age, you are not bound -at least in your mind- to the conventionalisms of the real World. My imagination flew carried by the winds of sci-fi grandeur. TOS is embedded in my heart. Is that, followed by a very close 2nd place (to the point where they actually overlap) by ST NexGen.

 Is that, followed by a very close 2nd place (to the point where they actually overlap) by ST NexGen

The second fanfic, for a Thanksgiving contest.

WP: What's your favorite movie of the films?

RC: I guess I have to say ST IV: The Voyage Home, The Undiscovered Country, and First Contact. None of J.J. Abrahams adaptations does it for me, I've only seen the first one and will get the others when I feel very, very bored. And think that I almost fainted when I saw that first teaser reel!

WP: Why do you wright Star Trek fanfics?

RC: Because it's there. It's a chance to take that movie/episode from your head, and share it in writing with kindred souls. You've longed for it, you craved for it! To put it bluntly, fanfic writing is that creative boner you get to touch every once in a while, and you wanna have your fantasy girl to do it for you. So you could say I get my rocks off from writing ST FFs.
And since I am like at a distance from here to Alfa Centauri from ever writing/directing any real ST production, I go for the next best thing: fanfics.

WP: How do you feel about fanfics and writers who are against it?

RC: Screw them! It's by fans and a form of flattery and admiration. Fans move the genre and keep it alive. It's like saying: "Like me, but not to much", it's nonsense! It's a free Country and people can write what they want, within the legal statutes. Writing is creation, creation is art. You can't put a lid on that.
Besides, every writer started as a wannabe. You don't bring a résumé to an editorial and start publishing. So leave some space to others.

Third time's a charm! This time in english

Third time's a charm! This time in english. Now this cover I'm very proud of.

WP: Are you planning to write more Star Trek fanfics and when?

RC: Very likely. If you write one, you can write more. I find the process enjoyable. Right now, I will like to work in translating the spanish ones to english and viceversa. One of the perks of being bilingual, is that you don't have to do it literal to preserve author's intention or style. I can play with that. About new stories? I have one circling around my mind for some time now. So it may be set for this February or March. It usually takes me only one day to right a short story first draft. Then I get the typos, and grammar stuff the next few days.

WP: Do you write for other fandoms or just for the Star Trek franchise?

RC: Up to now it's only been ST, but I'm excited about doing some Highlander stories (I'm just mad about the H!). Maybe some Dr. Who also. But I would prefer to get to work on some of my own stuff. There's a notebook somewhere titled Writing Ideas in one of my cluttered drawers with prompts and half-baked stories

WP: Thanks for the interview.

RC: Thanks to you, I enjoyed it! And thanks for getting me kick started on this writing venture. My first ever published book will have a dedication to you. Hope we make it big some day! Also, congrats for having your story A One Way Ticket To The Underworld published in one of the magazines of our leading State University, UPR. You deserve it!