Whispers and Vacation Vibes

Hermione stepped out of the infirmary, with Ginny's support, to see Ron and Pansy waiting outside, talking in hushed tones.

"Hey Hermione", Ron greeted her awkwardly.

"Go away Ron!" Ginny answered on her behalf. "So much for fraternizing with the enemies." She added.

"I'm sorry Weasley. I didn't mean to interrupt. I'm just here for Drake. We went through so much together, that I know him more than anyone else. He needs me now more than ever", she said concerned, her eyes wandering to the door, to see if Draco was inside.

"We'll looks like he doesn't need you though, Parkinson. He left with Blaise already", Ginny cut in scathingly.

Pansy's features momentarily turned to surprise, but she regained her composure immediately.

She smiled sweetly at both the girls and replied, "Oh, it's okay then. I'll just meet him up in his dorm. I guess I better be off." She patted Ron's shoulder goodbye and left.

Ginny and Ron had a five second staring match after which Ron looked down sheepishly, since Ginny's stare had turned into a Mrs Weasleyish glare.

"So umm Hermione.." he managed to stutter.

"So Parkinson is it?" replied Ginny

"Yeah well Ginny I'm not here about her, well...."

"But I'm all about her big brother. Have you forgotten how she treated us girls all along?"

"Well so did Malfoy, Ginny. But that doesn't seem to be stopping you lot. Obviously, being a pretty boy has perks, I see."

"Ron, how dare you!"

"He's right Ginny. Let him speak. Everyone deserves a second chance. I'm too tired to argue anyway. I just want to go back to my room", Hermione intervened before their argument spiralled out of control.

"Hermione, I'm sorry. I really am. I know I don't deserve you. I probably never did. But if you have it in your heart, please forgive me.

I don't want our friendship torn apart. You and Harry are the best friends I've got. Can we at least be friends again?"

"No Ron. You didn't just break our relationship. You broke our trust. You sold me out. Whether you did it because you didn't value our friendship or because you didn't value me, I don't know. But you did. And I don't think things can ever go back to being same again.

I forgive you though. I'll still talk to you for Harry's sake, just to avoid things getting more awkward than they are, but that's where I'm drawing the line."

"Thanks Hermione, I'll take what I get."

He rushed forward to give her a hug, but was interrupted by Ginny jutting her elbow in between.

"Hey stop right there! No touchy feely until Hermione is okay with it", she said.

"Um.. I guess just a gesture of goodwill then?" He said extending out his hand

"I guess", Hermione accepted taking his hand.

***************************

Breakfast next morning was a subdued affair. Hermione could hear the whispers of people talking about her behind her back.

Harry had kindly offered to cover for her at the Prefect's meeting. She had a feeling Ginny had not told him the whole truth about what happened at the pub, but she wasn't going to change whatever it was she had told him.

Hermione noticed that Draco hadn't turned up for breakfast. She remembered him telling her that Winky sometimes brought him his food. How he had gotten her to quit her addiction and perform her tasks with even the remotest functionality, was still a mystery to her. Whatever it was, she found it quite admirable.