Trapped (Chapter 8)

CHAPTER EIGHT

Steven left Serena for the driver's seat after their third intimate session and began driving again.

"We're not that far away, are we?" Serena asked after they had been driving for a while.

"No, but we'll stay near a body of water until I've had enough of you so we can wash off our sins and get started again. But you probably already guessed that." He paused for a few moments. "You have no idea how long I've had to hold this back, Serena, how hard it has been for me—or maybe you do. In any case, I don't know how long it'll take to get it out of my system, but we'll get you to safety soon enough."

Serena didn't know how she felt about him warning her of his impending seductions.

It seemed that he wanted to say more—the air felt heavy with unspoken words, but he remained quiet.

Eventually, the vehicle started slowing down for another stop.

Serena guessed that they had reached the body of water.

She heard him close the door as he left the vehicle for what she assumed was a bath, and then jumped as she heard a shot.

She immediately panicked, worried about his safety, and she ached for a window to look out of.

She knew that Steven was far more than a capable marksman and had most likely killed another Morph, but what if someone had actually shot at him? She didn't know how to drive the APC!

Serena also knew that not being able to drive wasn't the only reason she was worried.

"Steven, are you okay?" she shouted, fighting the urge to leave the vehicle and check for herself.

She knew that he would be furious if she did, and he would probably use it as an excuse to fuck her roughly and angrily.

"Serena, stay inside!" he shouted, and the relief washing over her almost immobilized her as all of her muscles relaxed nearly to the point of turning her into a blob. He was safe.

She sharply remembered how much danger he was in whenever he left the APC—from both the Morphs and careless, trigger-happy surviving humans.

An ache came over her heart at the thought of losing him, and she put her hand on her chest as if the move would stop the sudden, piercing pain.

Transference, she thought. From your husband to him. Besides, you've known him for four years or so anyway—of course you care about him a bit. Plus, who else have you got now?

Serena had no idea of the status of her scattered family members, but she suddenly realized that she had already accepted them as dead; most of the population seemed to be, although she had no idea of actual numbers.

She decided she would ask Steven about it when he returned.

She dropped her hand from her chest and took a deep breath.

She wasn't a zombie—she still had her brains to help her out of whatever mess they had gotten into with each other, and talking about concrete, logical things would keep her feeling like some semblance of her old self.

When Steven joined her in the back of the vehicle, damp and clean, he asked her if she was ready for her turn.

She nodded and got ready to follow him outside.

"I can bathe you if you want," he offered in a voice uncharacteristically tender, and she quickly declined, shaking her head vigorously as she discarded her clothes and slipped into the water.