Trapped (Chapter 10)

CHAPTER TEN

Serena realized as Steven kissed her tears away that she was broken.

All the times she had patted herself on the back for keeping her heart safe in dangerous situations, Steven had finally managed to rip it out of her.

Although she had no defense against his seductions, she had been able to emotionally resist the effect of being physically disarmed over and over—to push aside the feeling of helplessness and vulnerability that came with being at his mercy once the act was over. She had been able to fight off his capture of her heart all the time he had been abusing his power to seduce her.

But the tenderness he was now showing finally did her in.

He whispered soothing words all while touching her and handling her as if he loved her. Every soft kiss he planted, every gentle caress he made felt like what she tried to resist feeling for him, and the mere possibility of him feeling such a way made a dam burst inside of her and there was no going back.

She didn't want him to know how she felt, but she wasn't sure how she could hide it from him now.

Would he see it in her eyes? Would he see the difference between the day he told her to come with him to safety, and today, after making her come with him in ecstasy, over and over?

She knew that her desire for him was the culprit.

The fear she began to feel at that first look of longing from him years ago was because of how much she realized she wanted him back. Completely.

Had she not been attracted to him in return, her anger and disgust would have kept her safe when he came for her and tried to seduce her. And if he had succeeded, despite initially not wanting him back, her desire for revenge would have kept her going as she waited for the opportunity to make him pay for tricking her body into giving up the goods to him, despite her heart not being in it.

But since she was thirsty for everything he was giving her—every which way, as rough or easy and as many times as he wanted to give it—she was helpless, and surrendering to him completely had only been a matter of time.

Even now, as he made love to her again, part of her satisfaction came from relief—the relief of finally having him without having to worry about loyalty or duty. The relief of satiating a too-long-suppressed need.

"Give it to me," she heard him say suddenly, as he continued thrusting into her. "Give me your heart."

Serena felt her heart lifting to his request.

She wanted to say no, but her throat choked back the lie.

She closed her eyes tightly as if it would help her resist him.

"Why?" she managed to whisper.

"I want you to stay with me," he said softly, his voice sounding squeezed. Then it lowered to a barely audible whisper, "I love you."

The words made her open her eyes, and when she saw him lean toward her for a kiss, she let him kiss her, her heart firmly in the palm of his hand.

* * *

It was time.

Steven knew that he would never be ready to let Serena go, but he had taken too many risks. The longer she was out there with him, the higher the chances were that he would slip up and lose her forever, one way or another. He could risk it no longer.

He finally felt, to some degree, satiated, but he knew that she would haunt him—the sight, smell, and taste of her—from then on. Serena had gotten under his skin long ago, and she had gone on to burrow into his heart.