Chapter One: Awakening

Darkness, pain, laying still, can't move. His eyes open, slowly the blurry room comes into focus. The light dances on the wood walls coming from the fire in the middle of the room. He tries to move but the pain surges and takes over, the darkness forms from the corner of his eyes. He lets out a gurgle before passing out.

"Hello?... I think he's waking up." A soft female voice called out.

Footsteps draw near. "Try not to move, your wounds are nearly healed but you have been out for over a week."

As he opens his eyes a male figure comes into focus. His green piercing eyes looking over him as he tries to speak. "Where..." The word cracks in his dry throat, he tries to swallow, so dry. "Water" he manages to croak.

"Talia?" The man turns.

As he struggles to sit up, he looks over to see a fair-skinned young woman holding a cup, she walks over to the bed and holds out the cup. His arms are weak but able to take the cup from her delicate hands. All the time, staring, thinking how beautiful she is, long dark hair flowing behind dainty pointed ears. 'Small for an Elf.' He thinks. The cool welcoming sensation soothes his throat as he drinks. Her light green eyes hopeful as he says.

"Thank you..." He stops, confusion takes over. Memory's gone. The fire, darkness. 'Killian' his name.

"I don't know how I got here." He says finally, voice still a bit hoarse.

"My name is Noryn," Killian looks over at the man wearing a plain green tunic and light brown hide pants. "And this is my daughter Talia." Noryn gestures to the woman wearing a dark green fitted shirt and black three quarter length pants.

'That would explain the ears.' Killian thought she's Half-Elf. It was no question about Noryn being Human with his dark short hair and well-kept beard, and of course, the lack of long pointed ears. 'Strange.' He thought as he knew this but not who he was, what he's done. "My name is Killian... But that's all I can remember..."

A puzzled look crossed Noryn's face, cleared his throat and said. "Talia found you near the waterfall. We were hoping for an explanation ourselves."

"There was a loud rumble and a crack like thunder," Talia interrupted excitedly, her eyes twinkling. "I saw a blue light through the trees, I ran towards it." Noryn huffed disapproving but she continued. "It wasn't raining! Anyway. You were there bleeding near the pool of the waterfall... And I brought you back here." She smiled proudly. "It was magic! Wasn't it?"

"Talia!" Noryn scolded.

"I'm not sure," Killian replied honestly. "Whatever it was it hurts." He looked down at his bandaged chest his blue hand checking the wound on his side.

"It looks like you were attacked by Necrophan, there are rumours the Necrophan have been venturing from their island and attacking villages, do you have any idea where you were attacked?" Noryn asked.

"I have no idea... I'm sorry." Killian said, getting frustrated with himself blanking on what happened to him. He knew what a Necrophan was, and he knew to be afraid, large grey skinned death machines. He felt resentment as he thought of the hairy hulking creatures.

"Well, I guess it'll come to you. You are welcome in my home for as long as you like. It looks like it'll take a while for your wing to heal fully." As Noryn says this Killian looks up to his right wing over his shoulder and sees part of his wing arm exposed, he slowly expands his wing and a dull pain follows. He shudders when he sees the huge gap in his feathers. It would take a good few months for the feathers to grow back. 'If they were to grow back at all.'

"Thank you, I don't even know if I have anywhere to go."

"I'm headed to Jeraz in the morning, it's the closest village west of Forrayne Forest. My uncle Harlon lives there. It takes about a day and a half to get there, you are welcome to come along?" Talia says. "I'd like the company."