Chapter Two: The Waterfall

It wasn't long before Noryn came back carrying two large wooden buckets filled with fresh spring water.

Talia clears the empty bowls from the table and fills one for her father. Noryn receives the stew with a smile and takes the seat opposite Killian. Only two chairs set at the table, 'I guess my hosts don't receive too many house guests.' Killian thinks, feeling awkward sitting opposite someone eating when he isn't.

Unable to take the slurping sound coming from Noryn, Killian gets up and wanders outside into the sunlight. He finds himself in the middle of a large meadow, surrounded by giant forrayne trees. Next to Noryn's house, on the south side, lays square plots of growing vegetables.

"As Jeraz is less than two days away, we grow our own veggies, too many would spoil on the journey back, we are pretty much self-sufficient, now. We wouldn't even need to go to the village if we didn't need money for Dwarven tools." Talia starts explaining while inspecting her plants. "The forrayne wears down the metal so fast we need a constant supply. Since the Dwarf that sells Dwarven metal only comes once a year to Jeraz, we have to stock up."

Killian only takes in the information given, not knowing how to keep the conversation going, he stays quiet and just admires her beauty.

"Uncle Harlon has a stall in Jeraz. He sells his pelts and the meat he collects while hunting. We usually eat the meat, but the pelts I collect from hunting get sold there too if I'm not making them into clothes." Talia winks at Killian. He chuckles back at her.

"Thank you for everything," Killian says with a full heart.

"I should take you to the waterfall, it's my favourite place in the world. It's so calm, and peaceful." Wonder that crosses over her face instantly fades as she lifts her eyebrows and shouts. "I'm taking Killian to the waterfall!"

"Okay!" Noryn shouts back.

Killian and Talia make their way into the forest, Killian is taken back by the height of the trees, almost in disbelief of how wide the trunks can get.

There is a slight dirt track leading the pair through undergrowth made up of mostly ferns and dead leaves. The air is humid but not hard to breathe. Killian closes his eyes and takes in a deep breath and has a feeling of calm wash over him when he opens his eyes, his gaze set on the Half-Elf smiling at him.

"Even the air is soothing, don't you agree?" Talia asked.

"It's almost tingling." Killian couldn't deny the humid air made all of his muscles relax, and the scent itself is almost sweet.

"The waterfall is just up there." Talia points towards the path. "Can't you hear it?"

Killian focuses but could barely hear the rumble over the sound of their footsteps. "Kind of." Amazed that she could.

She giggles and carries on.

The low rumbling became louder as they drew near, turning into a constant crashing, the repetition of the water hitting, then falling to the next stone surface, the sound almost as soothing as the air.

"I told you it's beautiful."

Killian doesn't even reply; his face says it all.

The water is almost glowing blue. The wet black rocks exaggerate the glow, walking closer Killian can make out that the glow is coming from crystals scattered across the floor in the pool at the bottom of the waterfall.

"That's where I found you." Talia gestures to the bank on the far side of the pool. "Follow me, watch your step"

Killian follows Talia around the side of the pool, and as they draw near, he can see where she is taking him. Barely a path, but there is a slight gap between the waterfall and the wall. The wet stones were slippery, but he could keep on his feet as he squeezes through after Talia.