Chapter Three

"I can't believe you made me do this." Will frowned deeply at me while holding out an envelope.

I grabbed it excitedly, pulling out the items inside. A fake I.D, a fake BA in liberal arts, and a couple letters of recommendation— which were also fake. "I can't believe you managed to do it!"

It was a crazy idea I'd had— I really didn't expect Will to follow through. But he did and now I had all the qualifications to become a substitute teacher at the high school advertised in the newspaper. It was all counterfeit, but hopefully they wouldn't notice. Will had promised me they looked genuine.

"I have connections," Will said, but still didn't smile. "They've also faxed them directly to the school. Did you make sure to delete your Facebook or anything with your information?"

"I don't have a Facebook, but yes. Everything else is gone," I told him.

"And you're aware you can get into serious trouble for this?"

I looked back up at him. "Very. But I need the money Will. If I can pull this off, I'll be all set. I didn't even put having a BA in my resume, I'm just using it as a precaution. One of my substitute teachers was only nineteen. I'm sure it can't be that hard."

"I know you need the money. But do you really have to go through all this to get it?"

"Maybe not, but I'll get more than a minimum wage job would give me," I responded, biting my lower lip. "I know it can go horribly wrong, but I have to at least try. People do worse stuff. Like robbing banks."

I figured Will would smile at my joke, but he didn't. "Just be careful, Harley."

"I don't even have the job yet, I'm just seeing if it'll work. How hard can being a cooking teacher be, anyway?" I said, holding my I.D up to the light. Would it really work?

Will still seemed unhappy. "I can't take the fall for you if you do get caught. You know that, right?"

"I wouldn't even think about throwing you under the bus," I promised. "It's just for a little bit. Just until my birthday."

"You better hope they don't check your references," he told me. "Otherwise you're screwed."

"They seemed really desperate. They posted an ad again in this morning's newspaper. It's been in it for a week now. I called and set up an interview this morning and they wanted me in right away, but I told them I could only do this afternoon."

"You're going today?" He sounded shocked.

I nodded. "Yes."

"This is a really bad idea, Harley."

"You can't stop me."

He sighed. "I know. Just don't get caught, okay?"

I put the papers back in the envelope, swallowing hard. Everything was all set. Will had helped me type up a compelling resume and now I had the documentations. Now all I needed was some makeup and high-heels and I was ready to go...

"Pig I'm hungry!" Elliot cried from his bedroom.

...after I fed my little brother some lunch.

Two hours later, I was looking at myself in the mirror. My heart pounded in my chest and my palms were sweaty. I rubbed them on my skirt, trying to rid them of the sticky perspiration. Turned out, I definitely didn't look like I was twenty-one. Definitely, definitely did not.