Chapter Twelve

Saturday morning I woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs in my apartment. For a few moments I debated sleeping for a little longer, but the delicious scent drove me out of the comfort of my covers. I trudged into the kitchen, rubbing my eyes sleepily, and saw Will whistling to himself as he hovered over the stove.

"Morning!" he chirped upon seeing me. "I'm making breakfast."

"Obviously," I responded, cracking a smile.

"Pig!" Elliot came out of nowhere and ran into me full force, nearly knocking me over. "Morning!"

"Don't call me Pig," I sighed half-heartedly. I had the feeling he wouldn't be giving up that nickname any time soon.

Elliot pouted at me, resembling a puppy. "But Pig is Pig..."

I couldn't help another grin from spreading on my face. Lowering myself down to Elliot's level, I gathered him into a giant bear hug, squeezing him tight. "You're too cute! I love you!"

"Hey, hey! I want in on this love fest," Will joked.

I rolled my eyes. "You're too old."

"Ouch..."

"Is breakfast ready? I'm hungry," I complained, sitting down at the kitchen table and slumping my head on it. "And tired."

"You should have slept longer," Will told me with a laugh.

"And miss out on your not-so-awesome cooking? I think not," I responded, waving my hand. "It smells good."

Will shrugged. "I may not be much of a cook, but I thought I'd make you a nice breakfast."

I cracked a smile as Will winked at me. He returned his attention back to the stove before he spoke again. "So, what are your plans today?"

I shrugged. "I don't know... I kind of want to go to the mall."

"Spending your hard earned money?"

"My first pay check should be in the bank now," I responded with a grin. "I have a little extra money to spare. I just want to buy a congratulations gift. Nothing big."

"I feel like I want to cry..."

"What? Why?"

"I'm just happy for you," Will told me, turning off the stove. "Here." He put a plate full of eggs, bacon, and toast in front of me. "Enjoy, chica."

"Gracias, tío."

"You're too cold," Will said with a sigh. "At least call me a brother. Uncle makes me sound old..." He placed a plate in front of Elliot too. "There ya go bud."

"Can I go to the mall, Pig?" he asked, looking at me hopefully.

"Of course, Eli."

"Can I get a toy?"

"Absolutely," I told him with a grin. Now that I actually had extra money, I would buy him anything he wanted.

Elliot cheered happily, his eyes wide with excitement. I was just as excited as he was— before I could never afford to buy him something when we went. Well, besides little things here and there, but now he could actually get something worthwhile.

"Eat up, champ," Will ordered. "The mall is a big place. If you're going to be walking around today you'll need all the strength you can get."

"Gotcha, captain!" Elliot responded with a mock salute to Will. "Pig, when are we going to the mall?" Elliot asked.