Chapter 2

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 2

“Hailey are you okay?” Chase whispered and I barely managed to nod before collapsing in my seat. This cannot be happening! What was I going to say to him? I can’t avoid him! We’re going to be in the same class all year! This is horrible!

“Are you sure? I could take you home if you want,” Chase said looking at me worriedly.

“I’m fine Chase,” I said, trying to sound convincing but failed miserably.

What am I going to do? I used to talk to my mom about my Alex problems. Who am I going to talk to? She knew everything and she knew about my feelings for him.

But she’s not here now.

That thought made me want to cry but I stopped myself. I wasn’t going to cry like a baby on my first day of school.

My head started pounding and I rubbed my temples trying to get rid of the pain.

“Hey, you okay? You look like you have a headache,” a girl sitting in front of me said.

“Yeah, I do,” I responded truthfully. She handed me a white pill, smiling slightly.

“I get a lot of headaches,” she said “Take this, you’ll feel better.”

I looked at the pill and when I recognized it, I took it. My mom used to give me that a lot when I was sick.

“Thanks,” I said gratefully.

“Welcome,” she responded “I’m Mariah by the way.”

“Nice to meet you,” I replied and that’s when I noticed Mr. Jack looking at us. I cleared my throat and Mariah turned around as I gave him an apologetic look. He continued on teaching and no matter how much I concentrated, I couldn’t possibly understand what he was saying.

I sighed in frustration and ran a hand through my long brown hair.

Chase’s lips twisted into a smirk and I glared at my copybook.

“I can’t understand this!” I complained, frustrated.

“I’m sorry Hailey, I can’t help you out. I barely understand this,” Chase said.

“Great,” I muttered under my breath and he laughed quietly.

Soon the period was over and Mr. Jack left the classroom. All my classmates stood up and started chatting. Some went out to the corridor to chat with their friends from other classes, some went to put their books in their cubbies, and others just chatted in the classroom.