Chapter 3

The Tables Have Turned

Chapter 3

“How was your first day of school?” Clarissa asked, later that day, as I was helping her prepare dinner.

“It was good,” I said, shrugging “The people are really nice compared to those at my old school.”

“That’s good to hear,” she said, smiling at me. “I know it’s hard at first but you’ll fit in.”

“I hope so,” I muttered. I met both Chase and Emily’s closest friends and it wasn’t that bad but I kind of felt out of the loop and like an outsider.

Sure I met most of my classmates but I didn’t really feel comfortable sitting with them the whole time. I’m not usually that awkward around people but at the time, I’m not really myself these days. I’m still stuck on what happened around a week ago. It’s perfectly normal for me to still feel like that and it’ll probably last for a long time. I just wish I had someone to talk to. It takes a lot of time for me to trust someone and I’m not the type of person who would really discuss their problems with their friends.

“Can you give me that plate please?” Clarissa said, snapping me out of my thoughts. This has been happening a lot as well. I space out too much.

I handed her the plate she asked for and she thanked me before averting her attention back to the food she was cooking.

“Hailey!” Chase said as he came into the kitchen.                                                                                                             

“Chase!” I mimicked him.

“Do you want to play some video games?” He asked and I nodded happily.

My dad and I used to play video games the whole time! And if you’re wondering, no I didn’t play with my friends because I didn’t really have friends a lot of friends after I stopped being the ‘bitchy popular girl’. I stopped being that girl when I broke Alex’s heart and mine. I know, a little too late.

Chase and I played video games for the next hour and I beat him at everything and he just sulked. After that, it was dinner time.

 We prayed and then sat and started eating. It was less awkward today during dinner. I was able to get engaged with the conversation but of course there were some times when I felt like an outsider.

We talked about our first day and I smiled and said it was great even though it wasn’t that good. I didn’t tell them anything about Alex and I thought that Chase had probably forgotten about the little conversation all three of us had.

I was wrong though.

After dinner, I was sitting in my room drawing in my sketchbook when I heard a knock on my door.