Chapter 10

Novalee

     I wake up to the sound of a garage door. Deacons arms are tight around me, holding my thighs around his waist.

"I know you're awake, love." He chuckles as he closes the door behind us and starts to walk through the dark house.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I'm sleeping. So asleep. So comfy." I mumble into his shoulder and try to will myself back to sleep.

"It's ok baby, we're home." Deacon kisses my head and starts climbing the stairs to the second level. He opens a set of double doors and hits a dimmer switch, keeping the lights low so he can just see where he's going.

     I finally unwrap myself from him, and wobble when my weak legs hit the floor.

"I left our bags downstairs, but I can get you a shirt to sleep in if you want." He heads for his closet, but I stop him.

"It's fine, just help me with my zipper." I yawn and turn for him. As soon as my dress is off I help him out of his shirt and let him take care of his pants. We climb into his massive bed in our underwear, and I revel in the feel of his skin against mine.

"You're pretty perfect yourself, you know." Deacon whispers as he pulls me into his side, running his finger tips up and down my bare back.

"So perfect, I have panic attacks at rest stops." I reply sarcastically.

"Well, anyone would have that reaction after what you've been through. But you're so happy, and you are so sweet. And you keep trying to get me to see you naked. You're every guys dream." He jokes, and I laugh into his chest.

"You're such a dork." I kiss his chest and feel his breath hitch and his heart beat faster. I love that I have this effect on him, I love that he does the same to me.

"You love it and you know it." He responds lazily as his breathing evens out.

"Yeah. I kind of do." I whisper to the silent room.

*

Voices wake me up hours later. Groggily, I shift up to my elbows and find the large bed empty. Looking around, I see a set of doors leading into a modern bathroom and another doorway I assume is the closet. At the foot of the bed is a padded bench and a dresser sits against the wall with a TV mounted above it.

I recognize Deacon's voice floating up the stairs and decide to investigate. Grabbing one of his shirts from the closet, I quietly make my way down the back stairs. They come down directly into the kitchen, and I see the evidence of Deacon's skills. Bowls of batter sit on a marble counter top next to a steaming waffle iron. Smaller bowls filled with cut fruit sit on the island waiting to be served, and a carton of eggs sit next to the gas stove.

Deacon's voice sounds in the living room, so I tip toe further into the kitchen so I can peek over the breakfast bar to see who he's speaking to.

A man and a woman sit on the couch facing me, but they haven't noticed me yet. They're to busy staring at Deacon with beaming smiles on their faces. Right away I can tell that the man is Deacon's father. They have the same dimples and the same insanely green eyes and defined jaw. The woman shares his dark hair and full lips, so I assume she is his mother. She's bouncing in her seat like a kid at Christmas.

"How much longer do we have to wait?" She looks up at the ceiling and then pointedly at her son.

"I don't want to wake her, Momma. Let her sleep. When she wakes up you can meet her." Deacon shakes his head and even though his back is to me I can tell he is smiling.

"Awww, you call her Momma! That's so cute!" I quickly slap a hand over my mouth, I didn't mean to give away my position so quickly.

"You're awake!!" His mother jumps up from the couch and zooms around Deacon and into the kitchen. Before I can catch a breath her arms are around me, hugging tight.

"Oh! I am just so happy you're finally here!" She let's go and holds me at arms length by my shoulders. "Aren't you just too cute, my name is Marcie. But you can call me whatever you like."

She beams at me and then starts to fuss with my hair.

"Momma, give her some space." Deacon chuckles and wraps his arms around me from behind, pulling me into his chest.

"Mmhmm. Like all the space you're giving her right now? She has so much space, she probably doesn't even know what to do with it all." Marcie smirks and winks at me.

Her playfulness puts me at ease, maybe a little too much. "Oh I have a few ideas." I mutter, immediately my face flames and my eyes go wide. I hide my face in Deacon's chest as his parents burst into laughter.

"Deak, if you could only see your face right now." His father comes into the kitchen and grabs some juice from the fridge. "I like you, Miss Nova. You'll fit in just fine."

"Thank you." I quietly respond and peek out from my hiding place. "I think I like you to."

Deacon rubs my back and I lean into his touch.

"This is my Dad, Jackson." Deacon's voice washes over me and I relax further into his side. I smile at his father and then turn to the counter.

"So, waffles?" I raise my eyebrows at Deacon and walk towards the iron. "I could definitely go for some food, Mr. Chef Man."

     Deacon smiles and kisses my cheek before getting to work on the waffles, while his mother chatters excitedly about taking me shopping for a girls day. I smile and nod and listen as she talks about all the places we have to go. I wonder if my own mother would have done all of these things with me if she were still alive? Either way, it feels nice to have a mom again.

A/N

Sorry this one is kind of choppy, I've been working at it at odd times throughout the day. But I survived my first birthday party for one of my son's friends. 10 four year olds packed into one house is INSANE. 😳 It was terrifying. 😂 I'll probably have the next chapter ready to update either late tomorrow or early Monday.

Love love!!