Breaking Perfection

Chapter one

Music fills the halls of Rivendell, sweet harmonious instruments and voices. I'm playing my favorite instrument, the zither, my fingers lightly pluck each string swiftly and deftly. I'm enjoying myself, out of my skills this one is my favorite. The song ends, the other elves applaud softly, then continue eating and talking. The voices start a new song, and I get up and leave, taking my zither with me.

I head toward the music hall, which is three buildings away, to practice other instruments. I look up at the sky as I walk there, the stars are so beautiful, tonight especially. As I near the hall, I hear a lone lute playing softly. I look around the door and I see Elladan playing the lute, his back toward me. I silently come up and sit next to him, and start playing my zither.

Elladan starts, stops playing and looks at me. I gesture for him to keep playing while I play. He shrugs his shoulders and plays his melody to my harmony. We play for around ten minutes and the song ends.

Afterwards he says, "Hello, Cilivren, we haven't played in a while. It's nice to play with somone."

"I haven't seen you since you came back, otherwise we would already had played together multiple times." I say, laughing and poking him.

"I've only been here since yesterday! And how come you didn't welcome me when I came back?" He says with a raised eyebrow.

I say sheepishly, "I was out hunting, sorry."

And he laughs, "That's something that always surprises me about you, you don't look like a hunter, you look too.." he pauses, "too delicate...." He says awkwardly, then goes on, "Though, you love it."

"Not only do like hunting, I love the peacefulness of the forest I do love to hear." I say, almost dreamily, I love hearing the birds singing their songs.

"You and your ear for music." He says as we get up and put our instruments away, he puts his arm around my shoulders as we walk into the moonlight and says quietly so I can almost not hear, "I'm glad I'm back."