18. Technically, It's Not Stealing If We Plan On Giving It Back

Chapter 18

Technically, It’s Not Stealing If We Plan On Giving It Back

For the first time, I was a complete nervous wreck as we drove toward the museum.  I never had been for galas before.

But then I was never going just to steal something either. 

Max held my hand in the middle of the backseat as Dad drove with Brielle in the passenger seat next to him.  I saw Dad glance back a few times.  I thought he was going to say something to us, but all I saw him do was smile. 

Let’s just say I found it a little strange. 

But then again, maybe he was happy that I found someone who made me happy, just like he found that someone in Brielle.  Maybe he thought that, since I didn’t have a normal upbringing, that I would never find someone like that for me.

I guess I did.

Max squeezed my hand and I looked over at him.  He smiled at me and I smiled back automatically. 

It didn’t seem like long before we were pulling up to the front of the museum.  There was a dark blue carpet going up the front steps and toward the doors.  Dozens of people in evening gowns and tuxes were walking up and being greeted by people who worked for the museum. 

“Are we ready?” Dad asked, pausing with his hand on the handle. 

“Let’s go,” I said. 

Dad and Max got out first and walked around the car to open mine and Brielle’s doors.  Max took my hand again as Dad gave the valet the keys and we started up the steps.

Every few moments, we were stop by some older couples so they could talk to us.  It seemed like it took us twice as long to get to the top as it did for everyone else.  But when we finally got to the doors, my heart sank.

“Metal detectors,” I whispered to Brielle hurriedly.  “How am I supposed to explain the flash drive in my clutch?  They’re going to know something’s up!”

“No, they won’t,” she said.  “The coating around the metal deflects any detectors.  Do you really think I’d give you something that wouldn’t?”

I sighed in relief as we neared security.  I couldn’t help but stare at my clutch as it slid through the little metal detector, which was kind of like the one you’d find at the airport.  I held my breath as I watched the man behind the screen watch it until it came out the other side.  He didn’t do a thing, though.

I grabbed my clutch and stepped up beside Max.  I was the one to take his hand this time and he looked a little surprised when I did.

“You okay?” he asked.

I nodded slowly, moving closer to him until I was pressed against his side.  Just being near him made me feel better and calmer. 

“Yeah, I am,” I said, looking up at him.  “Now.”

He smiled and leaned forward to gently kiss my forehead.  I closed my eyes at the feeling.

And then remembered that Dad and Brielle were in front of us. 

They were watching the two of us, both smiling slightly. 

“Are you okay?” Dad asked.

I nodded as I swallowed hard.  Well, that was embarrassing.  “Yeah.”

“Well, well, well,” a voice said from behind Dad and Brielle.  “It’s a delight to see the Landon trio plus one again.”

Dad and Brielle both turned and there was Edmund with a woman on his arm and the same guys who were with him at Elizabeth’s manor in England behind them.