28. Fun Before The Real Adventure Begins

Chapter 28

Fun Before The Real Adventure Begins

Just like I said before, Mexico City was completely crazy.  There must have been something going on the afternoon we got there because there were thousands of people crowding the sidewalks.  It was amazing seeing them all, though, laughing and talking with one another.  I hadn’t been to the city in a few years, so it was kind of like I was coming for the first time again. 

The streets were even busier than the sidewalks where all of the people were.  Cars sped by, narrowly missing us as our taxi drove toward our hotel.  I was so happy when we were finally able to get out and grab our bags from the back, I could have kissed the ground.

Once we were in our hotel room – a two bedroom; I guessed Dad and Brielle were even more comfortable with me and Max sleeping in the same bed, which was still weird to me – we settled in and opened the windows.  The music from the streets floated up and into our room.

“What’s going on down there?” Max asked as he sat down on the couch next to me. 

Dad, who was looking down at the streets from the window, turned around, smiling.  “It’s the Mexican Independence Day Festival.  We sure did pick a great time to come, huh?”

“Oh, yeah,” I said, laughing, and looked over at Max.  “Do you want to go out tonight?  Check everything out?”

He nodded, smiling.  “Sure,” he said, and then his smile turned sly.  “Just no drinking for you.”

I rolled my eyes and smacked his shoulder.  “Shut up,” I said.  “But yes, no drinking for me.”

He laughed and leaned over to give me a kiss on the cheek.  My face immediately flamed since Dad and Brielle were watching, but they were smiling. 

Later that night after dressing in a plain white t-shirt and jean shorts since it was warm outside, I walked back out to the living room area of our room to find Max talking with Dad as they looked at something on Dad’s laptop.

“What are you doing?” I asked, looking over their shoulders at the screen.  There were a few pictures of jungle landscape.  “What is that?”

“Where we’re going,” Dad said.  “Tomorrow we’re going to go to a few of the market places and see if we can find a guide who knows the mountains well.”  He clicked on another picture, one that showed a fence that said no trespassing in Spanish.  “If they can at least get us this far, we’ll be fine the rest of the way.  I’ve got the GPS and the coordinates.”

Dad started looking at a few other things, but Max stood up to face me.  He was wearing almost the same thing I was, but had on a red t-shirt. 

“Are you ready?” he asked. 

I nodded, smiling up at him.  “Yeah,” I said.

“Don’t stay out too late,” Dad said, not taking his eyes off the screen.  “We’ve got to be out early in order to find someone good.”

“Got it,” we said together, both nodding. 

“See you later,” I said, grabbing Max’s hand and dragging him toward the door before Dad could start talking again. 

Max held my hand and pulled me against him once we were in the elevator and heading for the ground floor. 

“So since this is our second date, can I expect a great goodnight kiss at the end of it?” he asked, grinning down at me.