Chapter 2

"Beauty provokes harassment, the law says, but it looks through men's eyes when deciding what provokes it." Naomi Wolf, The Beauty Myth

---  

Chapter Two

His angel stood up from her loom and walked gracefully from her station to stand before Cassian and Mr Towler. She was still an angel. She had not changed a bit. Her face was still the most beautiful face he had ever seen. Her lovely brown hair was pulled into a braid over her shoulder, with the same rebellious little curls framing her face. He remembered her eyes, seeing them from above as he felt death taking him. The kindness in their chocolate depths was unlike anything he had ever seen.

Today they appeared wary. He did not like it. Was she wary of Henry Towler? Did he make her uncomfortable? Did he make the other women feel uncomfortable?

Something told Cassian he would soon have to advertise for a new overseer.

"Mr Kensington, let me introduce you to Mrs Faith Rowe. She joined Angel Faith Textiles just yesterday," Mr Towler introduced. "Mrs Rowe, Mr Kensington, our owner."

Faith smiled briefly before curtseying. There was no recognition in her brown eyes. She did not remember him.

That was actually quite disappointing. Then he focussed on a word he had not properly registered. Mrs.

She was married.

His eyes immediately went down to her left hand, which was intertwined with her right. She was twisting her hands nervously. She wore a wedding band on her left hand. Had she been wearing that when they had met previously? He could not remember. He supposed he was a little preoccupied with dying to notice his saviour's left hand.

What was she doing here? He remembered that she had been wearing clothes of fine silk. Now she wore a dark uniform. She had been travelling in the finest carriage he had ever seen. What happened?

"It is nice to meet you, Mr Kensington," she said politely.

Her voice. Her angelic voice. The voice that had haunted his dreams for years. Why did she not remember him?

"Does your husband approve of you working in my factory, Mrs Rowe?" Cassian asked curiously. He knew it was rude as soon as he spoke the words, but he wanted to know.

He could tell that Faith thought he was being rude as well, but she did her best to hide it. "My husband passed away, Mr Kensington."

The blood drained from his face and Cassian felt like a right cad. That explained why she was working in the factory. Her husband's money must have been lost. Perhaps he was a gambler. Perhaps she never loved him and was happy to be free of him. Before he could apologise, Mr Towler spoke.

"I was just explaining to Mr Kensington that I am in need of an assistant, to help me with the day to day supervision of the factory. I think you are the perfect candidate, Mrs Rowe."

Faith pressed her lips together, the movement capturing Cassian's attention immediately. It took him a moment to observe that Faith appeared uncomfortable with the idea of assisting Mr Towler.

Henry Towler was not the sort of man to treat such a close subordinate with respect, especially not a woman. Cassian needed to sack the man. He was growing more irritating by the minute.

"Mr Towler, if you are not equipped to undertake your own duties, perhaps I should find another to take your place?"

Cassian noticed that Faith's face instantly relaxed. He smiled at her.