Chapter 23

"Our chief want is someone who will inspire us to be what we know we could be." Ralph Waldo Emerson

--- 

Chapter Twenty – Three

"Oh, Lucy!" cried Faith.

Later that afternoon, Mr Carne had appeared in Cassian's room, holding a wary looking Lucy. As soon as she saw her mother, though, Lucy beamed and reached out for Faith.

"Mama!"

Mr Carne had not changed much in three and a half years. Perhaps his hair was slightly more silver, and his tummy a little rounder, but he still looked like the kindly old man he had always been.

"Though' you migh' be missin' somethin', milady." Mr Carne smiled as he placed Lucy in Faith's arms.

Lucy wrapped her arms around Faith's neck and nuzzled her. "Thank you, Mr Carne," Faith said gratefully.

"I will always have a soft spot for you, milady. You know that," Mr Carne said kindly. His eyes settled on Cassian and he frowned sadly. "I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw him yesterday. The same skinny, half-dead urchin from all those years ago."

"Cassian has been terribly wonderful to both Lucy and me. He is going to be alright," Faith said, more to herself than to the room.

Cassian had not yet woken up. It had been hours and he was still unconscious. Faith had been meticulous as checking his pulse and his breathing rate, and feeling the skin around his wound, feeling for the heat that indicated an infection. Had Cassian been awake, Faith was certain her actions would have been irritating.

"Forgive me, allow me to introduce Mr Kelly," Faith said, realising that Finn was standing idly by the bed. "Finn, this is Mr Carne. He was the driver while I was at Runthorpe. He helped me to escape," she said, for want of a better word.

Finn extended his hand and shook with Mr Carne. "I am sure I speak on behalf of Cassian when I thank you, sir," he said sincerely.

"Not necessary. Your Mr Kensington took care of the thank you's yesterday. He's a good egg, tha' one, milady."

Faith felt her cheeks redden as she placed the back of her hand against Cassian's forehead, feeling once again for fever. "I know. Mr Carne, I am so awfully sorry at the treatment you received from George. He told me he sacked you. That was not right." Faith would make sure that she found work for Mr Carne elsewhere. Cassian already had a driver, but perhaps an overseeing position in one of his factories?

"Milady, I do not regret for a second what I did to help you get out of tha' house. 'Twas worth it."

"I will help you find work elsewhere," Faith promised.

"Mama, why is Cassian sleeping?" asked Lucy inquisitively as she peered at Cassian.

"Because he is very tired," replied Faith coolly, "so we must be sure to take very good care of him." Faith noticed Mr Carne watching her and Lucy. Faith suddenly felt quite awful about Mr Carne and his family having to take in a supposed bastard child, and one that had caused such conflict within their community. "I am aware this may have been an awkward situation for you. Everyone thinks that Lucy is Cassian's child."

"Oh, I soon set them all straigh'," replied Mr Carne. "Tis amazing how fast gossip spreads, but I assured all who approached me that Miss here ain't no bastard child. She's a lady, ain't she?" He grinned at Lucy.

Faith nearly dropped Lucy. "You ... you told people ... you said that she was not a bastard?"

"Of course," Mr Carne said gruffly. "Tis a nasty thin' to say abou' an innocent girl when she has legitimate parentage."