Chapter 6

"Don't walk in front of me... I may not follow
Don't walk behind me... I may not lead
Walk beside me... just be my friend." Albert Camus

---  

Chapter Six

The metropolitan police had departed Cassian's home. Cassian had given his statement, but had emphasised that he did not want Henry Towler's life to be ruined. While his behaviour and actions were deplorable, Cassian did not believe that the typhus filled prisons were a just punishment.

He had instead urged for penal labour as an alternative.

Cassian sat back in his desk chair and placed his hands on his stomach. He had just spared a man who had done him wrong certain imprisonment. Did that not make him a good man?

And just because he enjoyed being able to purchase fine things, that did not make him a bad person.

Cassian had dreamed of finding his angel for years. He had long imagined the day that he would find her, and he would show her what her generosity had brought about.

And that dream had come to fruition, and it was nothing like he had imagined. Faith was not proud of him, and she had questioned the sort of man he was instead.

Cassian did not see much of Faith during her first week in his home. He saw her infrequently, and when he did, she had her head down, and a serious expression upon her fair face as she carried a broom or a mop off to her next chore.

The following Tuesday morning, Cassian was reviewing a report he had been sent from his factory in Yorkshire. The manager had compiled a detailed list of profits and expenses, as well as an updated employee list.

Cassian's eyes were still quite tired. The figures were hazy as it was still quite early in the morning. But he had not slept well, and so he had decided to get up and be productive.

He was suddenly startled by the door to his study opening abruptly. Cassian's head snapped up to see Faith standing in the doorway, a cloth in one hand, and a duster in the other.

Faith looked especially beautiful this morning, owing to a healthy flush in her cheeks. Her hair was tucked underneath a white cap, however a few stray curls hung either side of her face. She wore the plain maid's uniform, however, Cassian appreciated how the apron fixed around her waist emphasised her fine figure.

She was truly an angel. Only angels were that beautiful.

"Oh, I am sorry to disturb you!" she cried bashfully. "They told me you were still in bed so it was alright to come in here."

It was the first time they had spoken in nearly a week. Cassian had not realised how accustomed he was already to hearing her voice. He missed it. "It is quite alright. I got up early," he assured her. "Please, do not let me disturb you."

"No, it is I who is disturbing you, sir. I will leave you be."

Cassian did not want Faith to address him so formally, but she was the one who was insisting. "No, please. I am half asleep anyway. I have ready the same line twenty times already."

Faith laughed lightly. Cassian grinned in response. He had made her laugh.

Faith placed the cleaning instruments down and closed his study door. She took a deep breath, suddenly very serious. "Mr Kensington, I have been meaning to seek an audience with you. Do you mind?"

Cassian frowned as he motioned Faith forward. She did not need to ask.

Faith walked over gracefully and stood before his desk. "I wanted to apologise to you."