nine: dear reader, I married him

I set my alarm for 6AM. Grooming takes time, am I right?  

I fought back deja vu and the embarrassment. Being in Jeb's house helped. Everything was different. 

I told myself that this was not a mistake and I wasn't crazy. 

I told myself that I was beautiful. 

I dug around in my boxes for my things - make up and curlers and hair products and tweezers...

Eventually, I had vintage waves and eyeliner and coral red lipstick on. I had a sprig of baby's breath in my hair. And, unfortunately, a ballet slipped on the one healthy foot. But otherwise, I pretty much smashed it. 

Jeb gave me a small spit-take. 

My insides had been buzzing by then about getting married but his half-smirk, half-smile made me feel a lot better.

"I like this wedding dress better than the one you were wearing Saturday," he nodded.

....And then I felt worse again.

He held up his tie. "Anything special you want me to do with this?"

"Tie it around your neck?"

"I mean for the knot."

"No, whatever you usually do."

"I don't, usually."

"You can tie a tie, though?"

"Not great," he admitted. "I'm in construction, remember?"

I took the yellow tie and looked at Jeb. He was tall, lean, broad-shouldered but narrow-waisted. His suit was modern cut and so was the shirt. I sensed Maggie had helped because it was perfect. 

I slipped the tie around his neck and carefully tied a four-in-hand. As I was tightening it, the door beeped and Maggie stepped in. 

"Oh, you both look so nice!" She snapped some pictures with her phone. 

I quickly stepped back away from Jeb. He flipped his collar down and met his sister with a hug. "You're here early."

"The rental only holds five so I needed a ride."

"Oh, God. Who are the other two?"

"Surprise! Laurie flew down with Grandma Mary. And JJ and Queenie are meeting us there."

"Wait, no, they can't. Queenie is in labor."

"She hasn't progressed at all, so the hospital sent her away."

"But, Maggie...I called Shay. Alice has another marriage license out so I figured we needed a lawyer who knew the system."

"What? Oh fuck a duck and shit on a lid," she rolled her eyes.

I snapped back. Sweet Maggie knew how to swear? "So, longtime listener, first time caller - could someone explain who Shay is? And why is it a thing?"

"Shay and Marco and Jay all went to college together with Queenie. Shay and her were on again and off again for like...15 years?"

"How is that possible?"

"They literally grew up together. Their fathers were best friends. Then..."

"Then JJ happened," Jeb supplied. 

"But surely, after all this time..."

Maggie and Jeb were both shaking their heads. 

"Well, this will be one more flavor of fun, then," I was able to limp over to the fridge without crutches. I pulled out the flowers and waved for Jeb to pin his boutonniere.