new story preview: The Lost Bride

A/N: The new book is about Laurie. This is the chapter that bridges the two books - only available here!! 
*******************************************************

Josiah Carrick scrambled out of train and towards the exit of the Thompson Building with thousands of other commuters. He stepped into line at his favorite coffee stand and got a flat white and a ham and cheese roll.

Within moments, he was stepping into a crowded elevator. "16, please!"

As he stepped out onto his floor, a co-worker jogged up with a pleading expression, "JoJo, my man, tell me..."

"No."

"You didn't even..."

"You got floor tickets to the Bulls and you need someone to finish the School Board brief tonight. The answer is no."

"Dude, you don't understand!"

"You already owe me like ten times over, Bri. Ain't happening. Cover for me on Friday for this conference thing and maybe the next time, I'll be available..."

"Friday? Oh come on!"

"Your call," Joe stopped at the hub where the assistants, secretaries, clerks, and paralegals sat. "Got anything for me, Malik?"

His assistant popped up like a prairie dog on the plains. "Yeah!"

"Walk with me," He turned and headed down the hall. As Malik caught up, Joe handed him the sandwich and took the folders.

Malik grinned his thanks. He'd graduated from Law School just 7 months before and knew he'd been lucky to land at Smith, Mitt, Rappell, and Ferguson LLC. Although it was known in the legal community by the improbable nickname SMURF INC, they were a fierce, high-profile litigation firm. And Joe was one of their rising stars.

"Talk to me," Joe hung up his overcoat and scarf then slid his laptop into a dock, clicking the password as the screens came up.

Malik powered through about 30 minutes of updates on the two major cases that Joe was working. All bad news. Joe made a face and barked out some instructions.

"One last thing. There's a woman here to see you. From New York."

"Don't take walk-ins," Joe shook his head.

"She said you'd see her," Malik slid a sealed envelope across the desk.

Joe opened it and sighed. "Yeah, OK. Send her in."

"Here?" Malik's eyebrows went up. Private offices were not for outsiders. "I can grab conference room K, great view of the snowy city skyline."

"Here. Now."

Malik nodded and rushed off. A few minutes later, he was ushering in the attractive woman and offering coffee. She shook her head as Malik closed the door firmly behind him.

Joe stood and shook her hand. "Sorry to make you wait, Ms..."

"Laurie Santos Scott," she smiled and looked around. "And you're the infamous Josiah Carrick, living on high cotton here in Chicago."

"Call me Joe, please. I'm struggling with the connection."

They sat. "It's roundabout. My brother Jeb married your step-sister, Alice."

"Ah. The resemblance..."

"We get that a lot. We're like the Benetton of families. You're a good mediator, I've been told."

"Where did you hear that?"

"I took an Ethics and Leadership class with Dr. Rivers last summer."