twenty: this is definitely a date

Levi didn't let the cast slow him down the next week while at school or the playground, but he definitely slept more. And he was crabbier. Those were on the list of things to look for so I took him to the pediatrician's office after school on Thursday.

"Actually, it's an ear infection," the doctor told me. 

"What?"

"Have you noticed any fever or ear tugging?"

I shook my head. "He's been sweating when he sleeps, though."

"All right, I'm going to give you a prescription for Amoxicillin. And don't worry, middle ear infections are very common in kids under 4. Their ear tubes are smaller. "

I carried Levi back to my car and fussed over him a little. Poor guy couldn't catch a break. When we got home, I gave him some baby Motrin and a sippy cup of cool water. 

"Well there goes our babysitter for Saturday," Jeb swore. 

"The pediatrician said Levi wasn't contagious though. And Jay's a doctor..."

Jeb sighed. "But Queenie has a newborn and she won't risk exposure to whatever Levi got that led to the ear infection. Trust me. Let me try Gayle."

"Gayle is going away this weekend."

"Rafe and Lucy, then."

Rafe and Lucy were busy. I considered an online service but Jeb wasn't comfortable with that because of Levi's arm and ear infection. So I called some friends from school but it being the weekend before July 4th... I had no luck. 

"Don't worry about it," I told him. "We can reschedule."

He growled but didn't disagree.

Jeb didn't walk through the door until almost midnight on Friday. He was exhausted and grimy from coming straight from the job site to the airport. I could tell he just wanted to collapse.

He threw me a tired smile and headed straight to his bedroom. I heard the shower kick in a few moments later. 

When I came out Saturday morning, Jeb was asleep with Levi on the couch with a cartoon blasting on the television. From the wreckage, it was obvious they'd been up in the night. I picked up Levi and carried him to his bed. 

I cleaned up the mess before getting ready for my little Saturday job. I was leading a craft station at the park for the town's holiday festival. Painting flags with handprints, woo hoo. 

In my room, I fixed up my make-up and gave my hair a last spritz. Then I stared at the ring box for a long time. 

I hadn't wanted to admit it but Naomi's gifs had really bothered me. As a Southern woman, I could absolutely put on some lipstick and act so sweet people would get cavities. But I'm human. I hurt, too. I couldn't always shake it off. 

And, damnit, I'm not a cheater

My lunch with Finn had been nothing. Except more reason, if I needed any, to be glad that guy was outta of my life like a used kleenex.

Even though it was a contract marriage, I'd been faithful to Jeb. In fact, it had been easier because no other guys really compared to him. His body, his eyes, his commitment to Levi and his family...

I couldn't imagine being out with anyone else knowing Jeb was at home.

All week long, I'd counted down the minutes until I would see him again. He'd driven me crazy in my dreams at night and he'd made me laugh with his texts during the day. 

I picked up the box and sighed. 

As I headed for the door, I grabbed up my keys and popped my phone into the wallet case. 

"Hey," his deep voice was rough with sleep. 

"I'm just heading out," I whispered. "You rest. Levi's in his room. Baby monitor is on the table."

"C'mere," he demanded.

I turned back to the couch. He was sitting up and rubbing his head. I realized he'd gotten it cut. Cute. "What's up?"

"How about a drive-in?"

"What?"

"LaceyBelle's does a packed dinner. Pick those up, then head over to the drive-in with a sleeping bag for Levi. It's lame, I know..."

"It sounds great," I interrupted quickly. "I haven't been to the drive-in since...jeez, when Katie and I snuck out my senior year of high school."

"Great," he smiled. His dimples made my knees weak. "I'm sorry we can't stop by today. I'll bet you'll knock them dead."

"It would be very disturbing if I knocked them dead," I snorted. "Just have a quiet day. Relax. There's a bunch of cut up fruit in the fridge."

Jeb nodded. "You look good," he cracked a small smile. His eyes drifted down and back up slowly. I was wearing a jean skirt and fitted flag shirt, nothing special. But I blushed anyway. 

"Thanks, you too."

He smirked. I waved and scampered off before I got in trouble. 

Probably because the weather was so bright and mild, the crowds were huge. We ran until late afternoon when they started setting up for the concert. The festival was continuing through Sunday and finishing with a big fireworks festival that I knew Levi would love, if he was well enough. 

Jeb was showered and shaved when I walked in the door. He was in a linen shirt and shorts. Levi was in fresh clothes, too. 

"Wow, you two," I dropped a kiss on Levi's head. "Just let me freshen up?"

I raced to rinse off in the world's fastest shower and change into a sundress and wedge sandals. Did the makeup, spritzed the hair, and brushed my teeth. I was still applying lip gloss as I stepped back out. 

"Ready?"

I nodded. My heart was thudding so hard that I forced myself to take a few deep breaths. 

Jeb had already tossed in a bunch of stuff for Levi in the truck, so we buckled him into his carseat and headed off to pick up our packed dinners. We arrived at the drive-in just as the sun was dipping below the horizon. Jeb backed us into a spot and we moved to the truck bed. He fired up the mosquito lantern and I dug into dinner, making plates for us. 

Levi bounced up and down with the excitement of being in the back of the truck. It was hard to settled him down on a blanket and get him to eat. Luckily, there were strawberries. The season was just ending and they were fat and juicy. 

I laughed as he ate them two-fisted. 

"I'm sorry this isn't what I'd planned," Jeb said, pulling a long swallow on his bottle of pop. 

"It's good," I argued. "I never dated growing up. This is kind of a fantasy come true for me."

"Sure," he looked doubtful.

"Really. I mean, as long as..."

"As long as?" 

"It's still a date, right?"

"Oh, yes," he snaked his hand behind my head and pulled my face close to his. "This is definitely a date." And then, he lowered his lips to mine.