Chapter 4 : The Reason

Alec could hear the voices floating above him. Words floating in and out of what seemed like an endless surge of darkness. He was drifting. Floating in a slow, meaningless existence of decay and darkness. Now and then, he'd feel a touch, a simple reminder that he had a physical form.

Then slowly he began to float, to drift closer to the surface and the voice became more understandable.

Alec.....Alec please wake up. I'm so so sorry.

Hey Alec. It's Jace. I don't know whether you can hear me but....I'm here okay? I'm here for you. We all are.

Alec, it's Simon. I guess we're gonna be vampire buddies from now on. Ow Clairy! Okay okay I'll stop. I was just trying to lighten the mood.

It's Clairy, Alec. Sorry about Simon. I guess thats what I get for forcing him into being sympathatic. Anyway, if you can hear me, I just want you to know that this isn't going to change anything. You'll still be the same Alec to me. And to everyone. I know you will. We love you.

Wake up, Alec. Please don't leave me alone. I don't know what to tell mum. I don't even know if I should tell mum. With everything that's happened with dad.....I just....I don't know. Please wake up soon, Alec. I need you.

Alec's entire body spasmed and a jerk ran across his spine and his eyes flew open as he awoke with a parched gasp.

"Alec!" He heard a farmiliar voice cry out and then a pair arms were thrown around his neck and he was tackled into a hug by a haze of raven black hair and dark eyes.

Isabelle.

Then he was enveloped in blur of bright red curls, golden eyes, runed skin and dark hair but all he could do was sit there, listening to everyone's excited chatter but not actually hearing anything they were saying.

He felt a farmiliar hollowness in his torso and his hand found its way to feel his chest which neither rose nor fell as it used to.

Suddenly a hush came over the room and he was looking into a pair of golden eyes.

Jace.

"Alec? Come on, buddy, talk to us"

Alec wanted to but all he could do was clutch his unbeating heart, his eyes shut tight as the world seemed to spin around him and all the memories began to flood back into his head.

"I.....I'm dead" He choked out finally, and he finally met Jace's gaze and then dropped his head down into his palms.

_____________________________________________________________

Jace gazed around helplessly at the worried faces around him. And then back at Alec, who had his head in his palms and was shaking slightly.

With a sigh, he turned to the others.

"Guys....do you think you could give us some privacy?" His eyes landed on Clairy and his heart thumped painfully but he ignored it. Alec was the priority now. Clairy nodded and left with Simon.

Isabelle stayed, her eyes fixated on Alec as they had been when he was unconcious.

"Alec?" She whispered and gently touched Alec's bent head. He stiffened and pulled away. Isabelle looked at Jace helplessly and with a small nod, he sat down next to Alec and placed his hand firmly on his back. Alec tensed up again but then after a few calming circles run over his back, he relaxed but didn't raise his head.

Taking this as an improvement, Isabelle gently placed her hands on Alec's and removed them from over his face. Alec looked up at her finally, his crystal blue eyes wide but tearless and his face paler than it had ever been.

"Just tell us why" Isabelle whispered and Alec's shifted his gaze. Isabelle gripped Alec's trembling hands in hers desperately trying to get a reaction from her brother.

"Alec" said Isabelle, her voice tight and firm, "Please"

Alec looked at his sister and then at Jace and then back at Isabelle.

He began to take a deep breath, and then seemed to realize he didn't need to and stopped.

And then, his voice quivering in a way that Jace had never heard it sound, he met Isabelle's gaze and replied with one simple word.

"Magnus"