Chapter four

I was sitting in doctor Golan's waiting room with Jake and his parents. After a while, a blonde woman wearing glasses opened the door. "Come in." she said in an unusual calm tone. We sat down on the couch. "So, what can I help you with today?" she asked. "Well, Jake found a postcard addressed to my father a couple of weeks ago." Jake's father said, handing her the postcard. "We think that Alma Peregrine might refer to miss Peregrine, from Abe's stories." Mrs. Portman added. I simply sat there, fiddling with my fingers for a bit. "And this young lady is?" doctor Golan asked, staring at me. "I'm Amelia, Jake's friend." I stated. "She was there when I found my grandpa." Jake added. "Well, if this Alma Peregrine is still alive, it may help Jake and Amelia to move on.

"Doctor, can you please tell us something about the postcard?" Mrs. Portman asked. "Well, it seems pretty new...hmm. Only two years ago. I suppose it's possible she could still be alive." the psychiatrist stated. "Right and we could meet her." Jake told his parents. "Maybe even find out what it was grandpa wanted me to know." "But what if she's dead? Doctor Golan, we are very concerned with Jake's state of mind right now, and I think it's safe to say that Amelia's parents are very concerned to. And there's no way I'm putting my life on hold to take you to Wales." Mrs Portman stated. "Dad could take us." Jake tried, making me look up. He actually wanted me to come with him. "And he can look at birds and...work on his book. It means you get a break. And as doctor Golan said, maybe I...we can move on. Like, closure." "Having an opportunity to see this children's home and separate fantasy from reality, may be helpful. And at the very least, a trip like this provides the chance to...say goodbye." the psychiatrist stated.

"And what about Amelia?" Jake asked. "I believe it's best for her to come along." Golan said. Jake's parents stared at me. "Look, mr and Mrs. Portman, I don't want to be a burden, so don't bother to take me with you. I'll just talk to my psychiatrist for another treatment." I told them, standing up. "Amelia, I think it might be better if you came along." mister Portman stated. "No, it's fine, I would be a waste of money." I reassured them. "Money is no problem, Amelia, please go with them." Mrs. Portman begged. I stared at the Portman family. Jake stood up and walked over to me. "Amy, please. If you're not going, I'm not going either...just come along. We can figure out what grandpa wanted me to know." he whispered, staring me dead in the eye. "Are you sure?" I asked. "Amelia, I really believe it's best if you come along with us." mister Portman said. "Alright." I breathed out.

"That's settled then. Amelia, I'll pick you up tomorrow morning out three a.m." mister Portman said. "Shouldn't we prepare first?" Jake asked. "No. I already booked you guys a flight to Cardiff. All you need to do is take a cab to the harbour where you can take a ferry to Cairnholm." Mrs. Portman stated. "How much do I owe you?" I asked her. "Nothing." she said. "Thank you, all of you." I exclaimed. "You're welcome." mister Portman replied.