Chapter seven

"Amy? What are you doing here?" he asked, completely shook. "Jake, I can explain..." I stuttered, stepping closer to him. I glanced at miss Peregrine, hoping she would explain everything. "Jake, meet Amelia Jones." she said with a small smile. "Yeah, I know who she is. I met her when I was six years old!" he stated. "Jake, allow Amelia to explain herself." miss Peregrine told him. She winked at me and I began explaining. "Usually, peculiars can't leave loops. That's one of the few rules connected to loops, but miss Peregrine gave me something called a personal loop. It basically means that I can leave loops and travel in time to find peculiars living outside of loops. I take them to Ymbrynes so that they can take care of the children." I explained. "Why weren't you in any photograph grandpa showed us?" he asked me. "Abe knew that if he showed you a picture of Amelia, you would ask questions he could not answer." the headmistress said. "But what's your peculiarity?" he questioned. "I'm a diculiar, actually. It means I have two peculiarities, just like miss Peregrine." I told him. "Well, then what can you do?" he asked me. "I can control all of the elements and I'm able to shapeshift into a lioness..." I muttered. "You can do what?!" Jake shouted. "Now, calm down, Jake. She's still the Amelia you know. Besides, she has been looking out for you ever since you were born." miss Peregrine told him.

"How? I mean, I grew up with her." Jake stated. "That's not entirely true..." Emma mumbled. "Jake, when you were born, I was the nurse helping your mother giving birth. When you were a toddler, I was your nanny and when you were six, I became your best friend." I said, tears pricking in my eyes. "But how is that possible? How can you be..." he couldn't finish his sentence. "Ymbrynes can manipulate time, remember?" I reminded him. "Oh God...Amy, how old are you? I mean really?" Jake asked me. "Emma? You've been keeping track, haven't you?" I asked her. "You're 102 years old. Take or leave a few years." Emma told me. "She's not even the oldest one here, you know." miss Peregrine stated calmly. "I'll leave you for now..." I mumbled, running past Jake. "Amelia!" I heard Emma shout. But I didn't return. Instead, I went to Enoch's room. I knew Olive would be up there and right now, I needed her advice.

I bursted into Enoch's room, not bothering to knock. "Olive! I need your help!" I breathed out. "Can't you knock?!" Enoch said irritated. "Can't you stop behaving like a baby?" I sneered back. "What is it, Amelia?" Olive asked me. "I think Jake hates me..." I told the red-head. "Of course he doesn't. Amelia, you're his best friend. I believe he's just surprised to find out that you're peculiar." she reassured me. "You really think so?" I asked her. "Do we have firefights every Sunday afternoon?" she rhetorically questioned. I smiled and walked towards the room I shared with Emma.

"Amelia! I need you help!" Emma shouted, bursting into the room. "With what?" I asked her. "Jake is staying for supper, but he needs to change. Do you know where Abe left the key for his wardrobe?" she asked. "I'll help you look." I told her, getting up from the armchair.

The small attic smelled rather damp. I checked the top of the wardrobe, where Jake's grandpa usually left the key of the wardrobe. "Found it!" I exclaimed, climbing down from the chair. I opened the doors and Emma checked the inside. "You'll need a necktie." Emma told Jake. She handed me a grey one and I put it around Jake's neck before I began to tie it. "So what did my grandpa do when he was traveling?" he asked. I looked over to Emma, who was fiddling with a flower in her hair. She ruined one flower by accident and I groaned before picking up the damaged flower. "Visited other loops." Emma told him. "Really? To do what?" Jake asked. "Jake, there are some questions, I, we, can't answer, alright?" I told him. I waved my hand over the damaged flower, which beautifully turned back to its old state.